Using the voyager with the panel down

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
goldphinga

Using the voyager with the panel down

Post by goldphinga » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey guys, just seeing if any of you do this and how you stop the leads taking the weight of the panel?? Ive stuck a reel of selotape under mine which seems to work but seeing if you have any better solutions.

Cheers!
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Theres one guy, Moogist who does the youtube videos where his technique of "scratching" is features, uses a softcover book to take the weight off the leads.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Why in the world didn't Moog address this problem?

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:03 pm

I wonder if cutting a relief along the top of the back panel of the bottom case would compromise its strength or rigidity? It would be kind of cool if Moog could make that modification for future Voyagers, and perhaps make it available as a factory mod for those who are unable or unwilling to "DIY" it.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:08 pm

yeah i hope they can add a factory fitted block into the bottom of the case that will support the panel when flat, would be very handy indeed!
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Cole Gaskins wrote:Why in the world didn't Moog address this problem?
Isn't it supposed to be played with the panel up for ergonomics ?
I thought the only reason the pannel went down was for transportation and storage.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:36 pm

My Performer couldn't be played with the panel down but my Old School has enough clearance for it to work without sticking a book or something under the panel to prop it up. I always play my Voyager flat. I don't really know why...it just feels more comfortable.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 pm

It already has rubber feet, just make some rubber feet that are longer, but the same diameter and that will solve the problem.

THe Model D could be playedin any panel position. There might be times that you woudl want the panel down, such as for putting it on a multi-tier stand and you really need other keys relatively close to its keyboard.

For people like Moogist, who use it totally flat, this is the reason why they would want to put the panel down.

Not everyone really wants a keyboard that takes up that much vertical space, and if you think about it, for a keyboard that IS a lot of vertical space on a stand.

I like to have my voyager panel relatively upright, but when I had the MicroMoog on the second tier, that top tier really made it difficult to access the input jacks. I cut my teeth on a Micro so im accostomed to having the panel flat, but there have been times when I had stuff going on on the top tier that I wanted to lower my panel all the way down. Its nice to be able to actually change up the way your synth is.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Analog!

Post by Analog! » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 pm

I have no set preferred height for the panel. Sometimes I like to play with the panel all the way down. When I do, I also need to prop something underneath or else the 1/4" will take the weight of the panel.
Voyager Old School

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:52 pm

I like to prop up my Old School panel to the most upright position. This works fine for me, since the Moog usually sits atop a Hammond XK 3c Organ. The upright position reminds me of a modular synthesizer. Nice effect.