Short Minimoog D demo

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kevin Lightner

Short Minimoog D demo

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 am

I just located a short excerpt from a song featuring a Minimoog playing a guitar-like patch and style.
Nothing big, but thought some of you might enjoy it.
The patch is basically two VCOs set to exactly the same frequency which causes the phasing effect.
The band is a somewhat obscure European band from the 70's called Lake.

http://www.minimoog.net/lake1.mp3

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks for that sound clip, you brought me back in time. I listened to that lake album alot in 1977. Im pretty sure the songs called Key to the rhyme. The keyboard Board player was Geoffrey Peacey. Now im going to have to get out the turntable and see if that album holds up over time. Maybe even breakout the old Triumvirat records (The German ELP) Thanks again!!

MC

Post by MC » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:03 am

It's on CD, I bought one after hearing Kevin's
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a while since i've listened to them. I got their two first albums on vinyl, for true analog sound reproduction :roll: :wink:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks, I hadn't thought about Lake in a long time! The album I had was on cassette I believe (in a box in storage . . somewhere) and it had a blue cover, like a water color or similar painting of a sink filling/over flowing with water.
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 am

Yeah! I had a couple of their albums! The first one was a blue cover with a cat on it. That album was good. I wouldn't have ever heard of them had it not that my then brother-in-law was a DJ and he'd bring promo lps home that the station was never going to play. I enjoyed it..
That brings to mind another band I listened to back then.. Ever heard of Camel?

dizz

Post by dizz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks for that one Kevin. I remember hearing "Time Bomb" from that same album on the radio-even in Kansas! Gonna have to visit Half price Books.

regards, dizz

drogoff

Re: Short Minimoog D demo

Post by drogoff » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:I just located a short excerpt from a song featuring a Minimoog playing a guitar-like patch and style.
Nothing big, but thought some of you might enjoy it.
The patch is basically two VCOs set to exactly the same frequency which causes the phasing effect.
The band is a somewhat obscure European band from the 70's called Lake.

http://www.minimoog.net/lake1.mp3
Good stuff. The tone, pitch-bending, and mod work sounds a lot like Moraz's style.

till

Post by till » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:04 am

Hi Kevin,

I remember you telling here some long time ago about one of your favourite groups: Lake from Germany.
It nice late seventies pop with a synth here and there.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:55 pm

I guess Lake was more popular than I thought.
I was truly just trying to show off the Mini sound, but everyone commented about the band instead. :)
If their music is still in print maybe they'll get some sales though.

Fwiw, I found that sample while searching through a folder that held my old synthfool.com website.
I cannot manage the site myself because of the time it takes to work on synths themselves, but my wife offered to resurrect it along with a lot of new stuff.
So the first batch of uploads just went up.
Part of the schematics and manuals section.
No HTML yet and only about 1/3 of the schemos and manuals up, but they can be located here for now: http://www.synthfool.com/docs
The rest will be done in sections and come up as they're ready.
Enjoy!

PS: I've included some very rare docs like EML Synkey and Gleeman Pentaphonic service manuals, but I'm not even sure where I obtained every manual myself.
If there is anything up there that shouldn't be (for whatever reason), please let me know.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm

I found the Oberheim ECOs very informative, thanks Kev!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi