Aright, what's next? What will be the next Moogerfooger?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Impossible Sound

New MoogerFooger

Post by Impossible Sound » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:59 pm

If they come out with something else like the CP-251 with different functions, I'd buy it in a second.

Ideas for what it could include: An external audio processor - trigger extractor and envelope follower at least, pitch to CV would be very cool. An oscillator, ADSR, VCA and maybe a VC router. You could finally have a somewhat complete modular with just MoogerFoogers!

jrichoux

Vocoder?

Post by jrichoux » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:28 pm

brunning wrote:the ring mod and LPF make for a pretty good vocoder when linked together.
How do you patch this?
jmr

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:38 pm

I'm guessing he's referring to:

http://www.moogmusic.com/newsarch.php?cat_id=23

But I'm talking about a moogerfooger vocoder modelled after the old moog module:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/moog/moogvocoder.shtml

jrichoux

Vocoder patch

Post by jrichoux » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:49 pm

So in the theremin example, the filter changes the vowel sound, the ring modulator is simply to add a metallic effect.

Thanks for the references
jmr

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:00 pm

Yeah it provides an eery vocal sound to any input, not just a theremin.

But it doesn't work the way a vocoder does, where your voice shapes the sound of the input instrument.

stretta

Post by stretta » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:02 pm

If you're wondering what the next fooger would be, consider that it should be A) analog and B) offer opportunities for external voltage control.

There are plenty of companies making digital effects processors and cheap stomp boxes. The difference with the foogers is voltage control aspect. If moog makes another fooger, I would expect a chorus or flanger. I can't think of anything else that fits in the six-knob, two switch format of a fooger. (by the way, a sequencer would not fit in this format - a CP, maybe...)

That said, I think the fooger format is unwieldy. I can appreciate the marketing aspect of the stomp box format, but if you're going provide the kind of control I/O the foogers have, you've set yourself up for an ergonomic nightmare. You can't patch it without picking the thing up and turning it over. Happy experiments with the CP-251 are actually discouraged due to the location of the jacks.

Speaking of the CP-251, I like this format much better. All the jacks and controls are up front. It can be racked without heartache. It can be used as a table top device. I'd love to see the fooger line re-issued in CP-251 form. I'd prefer to see future foogers in the CP format.

I know Guitar Player rated the foogers as a pick, and had they been in the CP-251 format, I don't think guitar players would have looked at them. (can you even use it with a 9v battery?) I really don't know how this translated into sales. I *do* know many Voyager owners with foogers and they're all scratching their heads trying to come up with an arrangement that makes sense.

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:46 pm

I agree with the above generally. I'm a guitar player and at first appreciated the stompbox format but now that I want to start using the CP-251 with them it's a pain to have the jacks on the back. I now plan on building a patchbay about the same size as the CP-251 so it can be rack mounted right next to it. This would then be mounted right behind and above the mooger pedals on my pedal board. I would connect each outputs from the moogers to the patchbay for easy patch between songs.

lx rudis

Re: Aright, what's next? What will be the next Moogerfooger?

Post by lx rudis » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:04 pm

[quote="Jebus0000"]I really wonder if there even will be a next moogerfooger but maybe if we come up with some cool ideas...

i'd like to see something in between a 251 and a sequencer. hopefully with about 3 or 4 discrete output channels so that it could address multiple parameters/moogers...

the encore electronics universal event generator or the wiard 'sequantizer' are interesting modules:
the UEG is somewhere in between a sequencer and an envelope generator.

the sequantizer can function as an 8 stage stepsequencer, but can scan forwards, backwards or in a [voltage controllable] sort of blending mode which can create everything from an occasional backwards skip to random playback of stages. i think it's got an onboard lag generator and one-shot function on it as well.

x

dealer

Post by dealer » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:36 pm

I'd love to see a chorus/flange. but a vocoder would be a dream come true.

a.

Colin

Post by Colin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:37 pm

Well according to the very nice gentleman who replied to my inquiry in regards to the rumors I was hearing about another MoogerFooger Delay, it is in the process of being made. However, he wouldn't speculate on when it was coming out or how much it would cost.

I hope it comes out soon.
Cheers,

Colin

dealer

Post by dealer » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:08 pm

did you ask him what, besides the delay, was in the works??

a.

FIGS

Post by FIGS » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:18 pm

Well,

It might not be in the form of a 'fooger, but I figure it would be cool for Bob-n-the-boys to make single rack space "voices" for the Voyager. Essentially all the guts of the mighty Voyager, without the interface (keys, knobs, screen, etc.)

The way I see it, Voyager is monophonic (one-note-at-a-time), yet transmits polyphony via MIDI. If these auxilliary "voices" had MIDI inputs, you could play them (and control them) through Voyager's front panel controls (or better, an editor of some sort).

The next generation of modularity??

Osci-later,

FIGS
Thom Fiegle
-synthesist

soundhound123

Post by soundhound123 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:29 am

i think that a distortion pedal with a lpf and maybe integrated fuzz would be great! and dare we mention integrating a parametric eq of sorts
"we don't know one millionth of one percent about anything"

Thomas Edison

bcor

Post by bcor » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:40 pm

It might be fun to have a controller like the touch screen on the Voyager as a separate unit.

Colin

Post by Colin » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:49 am

all i know is that he said there were plans for a moogerfooger delay...???

he said he wouldn't speculate on how much it would be or when it would be released to the public..

who knows? but its exciting to watch and see!
Cheers,

Colin