Knob Tweak LP Patch Contest-Personal Thoughts

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Knob Tweak LP Patch Contest-Personal Thoughts

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:05 pm

So I've got most, if not all, Knob Tweak Little Phatty patches from the contest folder. I've got ATARI FOREVER, SNARLING DOGZ, THEREMINISH, and END GAME. As well as my own, but that goes without saying. All great patches! Congratulations to all who've contributed so far to the contest. Awesome programmers all of you! I can't even pick a favorite...I like them all! :mrgreen: Just wanted to share...
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:21 am

There are two more patches just posted by KT member 'Pagerfalk':

1. A cool, weird lead patch called "Constructed" that would be at home on any Japan recording (Japan was an '80's band featuring Richard Barbieri on synths. Richard now handles the keyboard duties for Porcupine Tree).

2. A nice utility bass patch called "Velo Bass".

All Programmer's Challenge patches to date have been checked and play on both Stage and Tribute Editions.

The Programmer's Challenge continues thru Friday, April 17, so there's still time to submit your patch(es). Enter soon!

- Greg

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Greg! Yeah, I saw those after I posted. They are on my laptop waiting to be transferred. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:18 pm

I have trouble understanding yahoo forums, so I'm just going to post my question here...
How do I create an .syx file? I've got the LP computer editing software, but I'm still getting used to how to work it. The other program I use to send syx files to the LP is SSX16.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:28 am

jamezdd73 wrote:I have trouble understanding yahoo forums, so I'm just going to post my question here...
How do I create an .syx file? I've got the LP computer editing software, but I'm still getting used to how to work it. The other program I use to send syx files to the LP is SSX16.
James -

You don't need the Editor for this - you need a SysEx (System Exclusive) program to transfer the patch from the LP. Try SysEx Librarian for Mac, or MIDI-OX for PC (both are free - Google to locate the download sites).

To create a .syx file of a single patch, launch your SysEx application and set it to record. In SysEx Librarian, the record command is a button labeled "Record One" (there should be a similar button/function in MIDI-OX).

Next, on the LP, go to Master>SysEx Menu>Send Current Preset, and hit 'ENTER'. The current preset will be sent to the SysEx program as a .syx file.

Hope this helps.

- Greg

Modularfan

More patches posted

Post by Modularfan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 am

Just posted two more patches for the KnobTweak Programmer's Challenge: CHAMELEON BASS (Bass) and WEIRD TIMPANI (SFX).

C'mon LP people! Where's the rest of you?

- MF

perault

Post by perault » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 am

GregAE wrote: A cool, weird lead patch
Thanks Greg. Being a knob tweaker that's surely a compliment! :D

Never heard of the band Japan but must check them out now for sure. I guess I had the Depeche Mode song "And then..." from Construction time again in the back of my head, but maybe that's only obvious to me. :roll:

- perault (a.k.a pagerfalk)
LP TE #531

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:43 am

perault wrote:
GregAE wrote: A cool, weird lead patch
Thanks Greg. Being a knob tweaker that's surely a compliment! :D

Never heard of the band Japan but must check them out now for sure. I guess I had the Depeche Mode song "And then..." from Construction time again in the back of my head, but maybe that's only obvious to me. :roll:

- perault (a.k.a pagerfalk)
... and now I'll have to pull out my copy of DM's 'Construction Time Again' and give it a listen. :D

Regarding the band Japan, their sound draws a bit on Chinese/Japanese musical influences (but it's still art-rock). Most of the synth sounds you will hear on their recordings were done using a Prophet 5 and Roland System 100 (sadly, no Moogs). In their early days, Japan was more of a punk band, but are largely remembered as an '80's art band today. To check them out, try the "Oil On Canvas" or "Tin Drum" albums, or search iTunes for such songs as "Art Of Parties", "Cantonese Boy", "Ghosts", "Still Life In Mobile Homes" and "Visions Of China".

- Greg
Last edited by GregAE on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregAE

Re: More patches posted

Post by GregAE » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:47 am

Modularfan wrote:Just posted two more patches for the KnobTweak Programmer's Challenge: CHAMELEON BASS (Bass) and WEIRD TIMPANI (SFX).

C'mon LP people! Where's the rest of you?

- MF
Nicely done, MF, and high marks to you for including the bass note sequence to Herbie Hancock's Chameleon with your entry! :D

- Greg

Assar

Post by Assar » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 am

Modularfan wrote:C'mon LP people! Where's the rest of you?
Why not arrange the competition in a place where you don't have to get a google/facebook/yahoo/twitter/thirdlife/whatever membership to participate.
I think you would see many more patches then.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Assar wrote:
Modularfan wrote:C'mon LP people! Where's the rest of you?
Why not arrange the competition in a place where you don't have to get a google/facebook/yahoo/twitter/thirdlife/whatever membership to participate.
You just have to create a Yahoo ID.
Just like you had to create a login ID to get here too (the Moog forum).

Yahoo Groups offer a place to upload pictures and files (like these patches), while typical forums do not.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 pm

I've fallen behind with loading patches. I'll be digging these Thursday. :D

Assar

Post by Assar » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:41 pm

soundxplorer wrote:You just have to create a Yahoo ID.
Yes, I know. Just another account on another site. And another, and another ... And everyone os creating more advertising email and spam I don't need.
Don't get me wrong, but I am getting tired on having accounts on sites all over the net, almost everyone requiring my email address.

I don't think I am alone. That's why I think the response would be larger if the competition was elsewhere.
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Assar wrote:
soundxplorer wrote:That's why I think the response would be larger if the competition was elsewhere.
I think folks are just lazy when it comes to sharing patches.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Assar wrote:I am getting tired on having accounts on sites all over the net, almost everyone requiring my email address.

I don't think I am alone.
Well, sure, everyone has that problem.
But here's what you do: create a free web-based email account (Gmail, whatever, even use the Yahoo address you create when joining KnobTweak) then use that address to sign up for everything. Treat it as a junk "web" email account that you never have to check.

My advice to everyone I talk to as an I.T. professional is this: your "real" email address - the one all your friends and family use to send things to you - never, ever type that into a web browser or use it to sign up for anything.

And again, my other point was this: the Moog forum does not offer file storage.