soundtower editor problem 3.4.1

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rwlarow

soundtower editor problem 3.4.1

Post by rwlarow » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 pm

cant get editor to receive/request patches from voyager, but have add configurations set properly, moog set to receive sysex, audio midi patched in osx, cables patched (obviously lol) everything seems right but it is dead no response at all, even when clicking on some of the presets within the editor, have some other soundtower products which are buggy to say the least but still work. am i missing something? read help file and tried other settings. still nothing. maybe it doesnt work with 10.5 leopard?

osx 10.5.5

editor 3.4.1

VGR os 3.4

till

Post by till » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Have you tried SysEx Libarian to receice and sned Voyager sysex data to check your interface and connection?

Is the SysEx divice ID set to the same number ("1" being the normal usage setting unless you own several Voyagers or RMEs)?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

rwlarow

Post by rwlarow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 am

no, good idea. ill try that and post results

rwlarow

Post by rwlarow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 am

ok tested it with sysex librarian, works on both send and receive. Is anyone else using osx 10.5.x leopard with the soundtower editor? Ive emailed the tech support but they are very slow to respond.

Argento

You are not alone

Post by Argento » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am

I recently got my Voyager back from it's 3.4 upgrade, so I purchased the Soundtower librarian software for my mac to manage the presets. I am running OS X 10.5.6 and using a MOTU micro lite Midi interface. I used SysEx Librarian to transmit presets from the Moog to the Mac and it worked like a charm. However, the Librarian software simply DOES NOT WORK when I try to retrieve presets or banks. I can transmit to the Moog, but the preset doesn't get updated on it and I can play the moog keyboard with the V Piano.

I have contacted soundtower and they gave me version 3.4.3 to download but the problem remains. I am beginning to wonder if I wasted $79 on this software.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:09 pm

The Little Phatty forum is filled almost to the brim of Soundtower suckage posts. I don't know about the Voyager editor, but the LP editor has a new programming company. the new (hopefully improved) editor for the LP will be out later this year. Again, not sure about the Voyager editor. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Argento

Work around

Post by Argento » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:12 pm

I found a Workaround. I downloaded version 3.0 for the Mac and this version works fine. I guess they broke something with the upgrade.

Voltor07

Re: Work around

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Argento wrote:I found a Workaround. I downloaded version 3.0 for the Mac and this version works fine. I guess they broke something with the upgrade.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

rwlarow

Post by rwlarow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 am

Well almost two weeks, no response from soundtower after three emails. what a waste of money! i hate to say it but since we bought the software from moog, i think they are "partially" to blame as well; obviously its not their software but they should lean on this guy to get his act together and be more responsive to users who are using the software and having issues- not cool. Even a short note letting me know a timeline in getting back to me would be ok.

Thats like going to a store, buying something that doesnt work and trying to return it to the store and it being locked 24-7

anyways.... i still love my moog!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:53 am

rwlarow wrote:Well almost two weeks, no response from soundtower after three emails. what a waste of money! i hate to say it but since we bought the software from moog, i think they are "partially" to blame as well; obviously its not their software but they should lean on this guy to get his act together and be more responsive to users who are using the software and having issues- not cool. Even a short note letting me know a timeline in getting back to me would be ok.

Thats like going to a store, buying something that doesnt work and trying to return it to the store and it being locked 24-7

anyways.... i still love my moog!
Yep...heard it all before on the LP forums. Amos has had numerous conversations with Soundtower, and has had even more failed attempts to get ahold of them. :roll:

till

Post by till » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:20 pm

I was once told that Soundtower is only a project done by someone with a full day-time job somewhere else. And that he is not able to react all the time.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

rwlarow

Post by rwlarow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 pm

"SoundTower prides itself in providing excellent support to all users of our programs, musicians and studio professionals since 1995. We try to be available at all times to answer questions that you may have." From soundtower tech support page

TILL:
good to know, just wanted other users to know what to expect if they run into issues and are expecting a timely response. I defintely wouldnt have bought the software if i read a post like this....

Argento

Post by Argento » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Have you tried version 3.0? That seems to work (for me at least)

Moog have been helpful to me regarding my problem with 3.4.x and advise that Soundtower are 'working on a new version'.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:13 pm

I've had this problem under OS X Leopard as well - Intel MacBook Pro, Voyager 3.4 OS, and I've tried 3.4.1 and a patched version. Libraries aren't received but there's no change in the Sysex traffic.

I think the fault may lie with changes to Apple's CoreAudio framework - dim and distant memory suggests that certain parts were being brought up to date to remove deprecated code. When the problem first appeared they were very helpful and quick to respond so perhaps they're working on it having isolated that the problem DOES exist rather than being a single user's issue.

Frankly, I think Apple have really cocked up CoreAudio - the MIDI framework promises OMS-like flexibility and delivers nothing like it.
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

till

Post by till » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 pm

RichardK wrote:...
Frankly, I think Apple have really cocked up CoreAudio ...
But many other programs still work fine under OS X Leopard.

I think the problem is the RealBasic compiler or the needed Midi plug-in for RealBasic. The plug-ins were changed a lot from Moog Voyager.app version 3.0.0 to 3.1.0

Sequence: