OLD SCHOOL DISCONTINUED!?!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Brian G

Post by Brian G » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 pm

As much as I liked the Voyager, the digital display annoyed me. It always showed the values of whatever knob I was turning, and that seriously irked me when programming patches.

:) you know you can turn that off :):). I hardly, if ever, have either of mine set up that way. Glad you're enjoying your OS.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:07 am

jon_kull wrote:I just hope there's still some around when I finally have the cash to get one and that the prices don't get jacked up.
The distributor of the Benelux *did* raise the price, and by about 200 Euro!
Nevertheless, I ordered one at a local dealer but I'm still even waiting for
info about availability. I'll post the serial number as soon as I have it (that
is, *if* I can get one), as it's interesting to see where they are.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:54 am

I just got an Andromeda, and I LOVE the high-tech-ness of the display! For instance, the frequency value goes to about 4 or 5 decimal places, and the LFOs are displayed graphically (they stretch and contract as the rate changes!).

Each to their own :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:30 am

I tell you what....you guys from Overseas really are at a disadvantage when it comes to ordering stuff like this from Ma and Pa companies like Moog.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

pangmaster

Post by pangmaster » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm

latigid on wrote:I just got an Andromeda, and I LOVE the high-tech-ness of the display! For instance, the frequency value goes to about 4 or 5 decimal places, and the LFOs are displayed graphically (they stretch and contract as the rate changes!).

Each to their own :)
Yep. I have an A6 too, and I love the display. But I bought my OS specifically because it does not have any digital stuff in there (well, except the keyboard scanner) and I like it so much for that reason.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:36 pm

EricK wrote:I tell you what....you guys from Overseas really are at a disadvantage when it comes to ordering stuff like this from Ma and Pa companies like Moog.
You're right. It costs much more, and one gets less. At least we have hardly
package deals (the instrument including a lot of extra's). At least over here
in over expensive Holland :cry:
Moog stuff isn't perhaps a bang for the buck, not even in the USA, but over
in the States you probably get much more for your money. I'm almost sure
that counts for gear that is produced outside the US, as well.

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:05 pm

EricK wrote:I tell you what....you guys from Overseas really are at a disadvantage when it comes to ordering stuff like this from Ma and Pa companies like Moog.
Agreed !
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Well if it aint made in the USA its made in China or Japan and depending on the product its likely that its crap.

Roland makes good stuff but their customer service is a nightmare and youll buy the latest version of their unit for 3000 and they will come up with something better for 2500 just as son as you do loloo.

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:19 pm

The Japanese are very good at taking American technology and using it in ways we never thought of, then charging us an arm and a leg for whatever product they come out with. :lol: The Chinese, at least, build our American designs and do it for less than it would cost for us to do it, mostly because they hire kids and enslave women. NO OFFENSE TO MY CHINESE AND JAPANESE FRIENDS, THIS IS A JOKE! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:17 pm

If there is anything that you can count on, it's MOOG MUSIC. In a way, we should be excited that they have chosen to discontinue the Old School.

First of all, it makes them all the more valuable.

Second, if a demand arises, I'll bet they'll put some back into production. In fact, I think that's inevitable somewhere down the road.

And third (hold on to your knobs - three is REALLY cool...) you KNOW that they are only making room to produce something EXCEPTIONALLY COOL.

You all know it's true... you can count on it!

So - it's back to that old thread, "What would you like to see MOOG MUSIC produce next?"

Whaddya say, MOOG? Am I in the ball park here or what. You can tell us... we're all family here!

My wish?? Probably a nice, 61 or better yet, a 76 key polyphonic synth with the same quality and basic design as Voyager - traditional analog waveforms with knobs, switches and all. 8 Voices should do the trick. Perhaps with some of LP in there too to help cut down on knobs just a bit. THE MOOD TANK! Such a KILLER instrument that MILITARY TRAINING is required to own one.

Oh, with a removable 'back-lit optical ribbon controller built in as standard equipment.

Oh... might as well add a nice card slot - right there in the front panel... for adding banks of complex waveforms - those can be an after market thing...
Buy cape. Wear cape. Fly.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Christopher J. Boylan wrote:
My wish?? Probably a nice, 61 or better yet, a 76 key polyphonic synth with the same quality and basic design as Voyager - traditional analog waveforms with knobs, switches and all. 8 Voices should do the trick. Perhaps with some of LP in there too to help cut down on knobs just a bit. THE MOOD TANK! Such a KILLER instrument that MILITARY TRAINING is required to own one.

Oh, with a removable 'back-lit optical ribbon controller built in as standard equipment.
76 key poly synth? Frankly I'd settle for 61 keys with octave up/down buttons like on the LP. 8 voices, definitely! LP buttons, for sure, with maybe four knobs per voice. Back light optical ribbon with choose your own color option! I'll order one as soon as I get my Taurus III's. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Christofer J. Boylan wrote:

I agree, we all want a polyphonic Moog synth. That should be on Moog Music's "to do" list. I just can't imagine the price of such a beast! :shock:

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:35 pm

bleh, I can't play polysynths anymore. I prefer monophonic playing now. Damn Moog effect...
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:19 am

Jrayk Roze wrote:bleh, I can't play polysynths anymore. I prefer monophonic playing now. Damn Moog effect...
I'll bet you could play a Moog polysynth. Imagine a Voyager or LP capable of CHORDS! :shock: It would be the first thing since Bruce Lee to kick Chuck Norris' behind! :mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:34 am

We woudl have to weigh how expensive it would be to have RME editions to the Phatty or Voyager vs the price of the Memory Moog Voyager/PolymoogII.
I would hope that whatever Moog does if they do a polyphonic synth....they do it for 88 keys.
Thats been the real kicker is that Moog never made an 88 key manual.
73 notes would be nice but 88 would always be better.

1. I still say they should make a Phatty Expansion Box

2. Cp252 dualing EnvGen, 4 chan audio mixer, VCA, Dual Trigger Delay, Envelope Follower

3. Mf106 sequencer