Keyboard issues on a new Voyager Old School

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
coniglius

Keyboard issues on a new Voyager Old School

Post by coniglius » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this list and I just received my new Voyager Old School yesterday and I've found 2 issues so far... After about a 1/2 hour of playing I found that the leftmost A#, B, C, and C# keys make a lot of mechanical noise when pressed, the A# and C in particular sound like they're stopping against something metallic inside of the chassis (sounds like if you were to tap something metallic in the inside of the chassis) and you can hear it rattle through the chassis like it's actually hitting it somehow. The keys themselves seem to function ok sound-wise though. The second issue is the the afterpressure on the two highest keys does not have the range of the rest of the keys. The highest C barely outputs any pressure info and the adjacent B is a little stronger, though noticeably weaker than any of the other keys. I wonder if maybe this is normal due to the fact that they are also doubling in function to activate Multi Trigger mode? Anyone have any ideas? Sending it back for a replacement seems like my best option, this thing is less than 24hrs old and I'm really bummed about this...

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am

Welcome to the forum and im sorry to hear about your issues. I wish that I coudl help you but Im sure you will get an answer on Monday. Until then just be calm and patient and well see what happens.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

coniglius

Post by coniglius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome and response Eric. I sent it back today. Within 24hrs of my original posting the Multi Trigger function also stopped working. The unit was a dud so I sent it back for a replacement. Bummer I won't get it for the next 12 days or so.

Are there frequent issues with the keyboards on Voyagers? I haven't seen any posts about them and I did my research before buying. Actually the apparant sturdiness and feel of the Voyager keyboard over the Little Phatty (which I own) and most other waterfall-type midi controllers out there is one of the things about it that attracted me to the unit in the first place.

It's too bad Moog just leveraged off of the "normal" Voyagers to create the Old School and didn't give the keyboard a proper analog treatment as they did with the rest of the synth. I'd have paid the "Performer" price and then some for something like that! Then again, if Moog didn't already have the digitally controlled Voyagers to leverage off of, we'd probably never have seen the likes of the Old School.
Voyager Old School • Haken Continuum w/CVC • Hammond C-3/BC/A/M-3 • Leslie 122/142/45/46 • Clavinet D6 • Wurlitzer 206A • Yamaha CS01 • Pianet N • Casio CDP-100

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Well my issue is that the circuit that scans the keys failed and they re sending me a new one.

Eric

coniglius

Post by coniglius » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Well that's cool that they'll send you replacement parts like that to install yourself rather than require you to send the entire unit in for the repair on a simple soldering job.
Voyager Old School • Haken Continuum w/CVC • Hammond C-3/BC/A/M-3 • Leslie 122/142/45/46 • Clavinet D6 • Wurlitzer 206A • Yamaha CS01 • Pianet N • Casio CDP-100

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:00 pm

coniglius wrote:Well that's cool that they'll send you replacement parts like that to install yourself rather than require you to send the entire unit in for the repair on a simple soldering job.
i replaced my keyscan board...no soldering required. it plugs into sockets on the main keyboard PCB and is secured by 4 screws.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:43 pm

Did they include a shipping label for the old board?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:46 am

alas....no

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:49 am

i did ask if they'd comp me the cp251 for my trouble (i bought my OS three weeks before the promo started)....i was told: "sorry, man."

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:12 am

lol

Maybe you should have tried for a free tshirt or stickers.

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:24 am

EricK wrote:lol

Maybe you should have tried for a free tshirt or stickers.

Eric
I got a free Captain Analog tee with my LP modifications. Also, five stickers showed up a couple days later with the screws Amos forgot to put back in the sides. Moog's cool like that. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.