Any guitarists here using the MP-201?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Julian

Any guitarists here using the MP-201?

Post by Julian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I'm a guitarist, I don't have one yet. In fact I don't own a piece of Moog gear yet, but MP-201 is probably going to be my first purchase sometime this upcoming year after I get all my recording stuff sorted out.

I just wanted to sign up for this forum beforehand and see what people are doing with theirs. I've seen a few videos on youtube, but there isn't a whole lot so far.

I have an Electro-Harmonix HOG and I'm planning on using it with that plus a copilotfx Antenna bit crusher. I'll probably plug it into my Sequential Circuits Six Trak synth (that I found marked 10 bucks at a garage sale, yay!) and mess around with that sometime too. I'll probably also make a small CV controllable VCO and mod my ring mod for carrier in for more fun.

How do you guitarists here use yours?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:11 pm

I use it for a lot of different things. I have the Moog ring mod, filter, and delay, so I get a lot of mileage out of tweaking those and making presets for them. I also use it a lot for syncing those pieces of gear with a MIDI clock in the recording studio. For the last few days, I have been using the MP-201 to control my Line 6 DL-4. I'm hoping to get a WMD Geiger Counter in the new year to have expression control over sample rate and bit rate reduction sounds.

I also use the MP-201 with my Little Phatty synth and it has opened up a lot of new sounds there.

It is a great controller pedal. Well built and very easy to use.

Bryan

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:57 pm

Those Geiger counter synths are sweet. I never thought about putting circuitry in regular objects like that.

The 102 looks like a piece of scientific equipment anyway.

Did you know that respitory machines look like ANalog synths, with the pots? THey even use sine and pulse waves to deliver oxygen to patients!

Take one of those and put some circuits in it and it will look awesome!

Eric

Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:18 pm

EricK wrote:Those Geiger counter synths are sweet. I never thought about putting circuitry in regular objects like that.[/img]
I think we're talking about two different things. http://www.wmdevices.com/geiger.php

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Ahhhh! Ive seen that before.

Julian

Post by Julian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:30 pm

I haven't even really thought about the preset possibilities, though I'm sure that's got to be really nice to have on the Moogerfoogers.

I saw Saul Zonana in his youtube demo use it for that purpose.

I've only really given thought to it as far as control purposes, because I think the HOG only can receive pitch wheel data via midi. But I could get some really cool sounds with the different LFO shapes with the different expression types.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Julian wrote:I haven't even really thought about the preset possibilities, though I'm sure that's got to be really nice to have on the Moogerfoogers.
Presets are brilliant. For example, I can have a preset so that my delay does chorusing sounds (very short delay with modulation), a short delay, a long delay, a long modulated delay, a delay modulated with a square wave so the repeats occasionally jump up/down an octave, a preset that slowly cranks the repeats into feedback and then drops down to a single repeat, . . .

And that is just controlling a single parameter at a time with very basic controls. Now, imagine being able to do the same with multiple pedals to build patches, plus have expression control. Then, imagine doing the same, but being able to tempo lock to a MIDI clock.

It is a very powerful controller box!

Bryan

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:04 pm

EricK wrote:Did you know that respitory machines look like ANalog synths, with the pots? THey even use sine and pulse waves to deliver oxygen to patients!

Take one of those and put some circuits in it and it will look awesome!

Eric

I was thinking about this last night while I was watching one of my favorite series (A Touch Of Frost). There was a shot in a hospital and I thought the equipment looked a lot like an EMS.
How awesome would it be to have a studio that looks like a medical lab! :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Julian

Post by Julian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Yeah Brian, that's the thing that really caught my attention- how it could open up endless possibilities out of a pedal.

A delay can then do flange and chorus as well as other cool modulated delay effects.

My HOG in volume mode would suddenly have tap-trem ability, in filter mode have tap-filter ability, in pitch mode have tap-vibrato ability, with a bunch of different LFOs.

And never having to tune a ring mod again would be wonderful as well.
Last edited by Julian on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm

I took some photos in side the hospital that I used to work in because I was sent down in the basement to deliver an inventory...I saw these broken down ventillators.

THen In Anatomy class when the respitory therapist came and did a little clinic, she took us in the lab where I got to really take a better look and I noticed that they had a waveshape knob.

Think about a sine wave...well thats essentially how we take a breath, a risse and a fall in volume. I thought it was very interesting.

I never woudl have made that connection otherwise, and I can't imagine why they woudl want a pulse wave breath.

But yeah Im sure that you could turn that into a sweet sequencer, change the gauge on the top to something like a HZ or voltage meter, and make a sweet looking synth on wheels.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread.
This happens a lot lately. :lol:
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Julian

Post by Julian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:08 pm

thread hijacks are fine by me

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:41 am

[quote="EricK"]I took some photos in side the hospital that I used to work in because I was sent down in the basement to deliver an inventory...I saw these broken down ventillators.

THen In Anatomy class when the respitory therapist came and did a little clinic, she took us in the lab where I got to really take a better look and I noticed that they had a waveshape knob.

Think about a sine wave...well thats essentially how we take a breath, a risse and a fall in volume. I thought it was very interesting.

I never woudl have made that connection otherwise, and I can't imagine why they woudl want a pulse wave breath.

But yeah Im sure that you could turn that into a sweet sequencer, change the gauge on the top to something like a HZ or voltage meter, and make a sweet looking synth on wheels.

Eric
Being a Respiratory Therapist I'm gonna have to put on a photo of one of my Oscillatory Ventilators. The frequency or BPM(breaths per minute) is set from 3 to 15 Hertz. It does deliver breaths in short burst.