My new Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Anton

My new Voyager

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:05 am

Probably totally irrelevant for this forum but I can't resist to express my enthusiasm:

On friday I picked up my brand new Voyager Electric Blue from a local music store and after a weekend of playing with my new instrument and neglecting my family I can say: this is by far the most inspiring board I have ever used.

Before buying it I have read all the discussions in forums about whether it is too expensive for a monophonic synth, whether the sound can really compete with a Model D or virtual analogues and software surrogates and so forth. So I was a little bit in doubt whether I should throw all the money at it and how I should explain the purchase of another synth to my wife. Now I am surprised how clear the answer to all the questions is: This thing has an incredible sound. I simply can't stop playing it. But what I love most about it is the user interface. It is so clearly laid out that even if you are not a synth programming expert you can immediately start having fun with creating your own sounds.

So may be the voyager does not win the feature per dollar contest but there is no doubt that it is a fun per dollar winner.

I am now considering buying an effect processor to be used with the voyager (all my other boards have built-in effects which I use on stage). The Moog delay MF 104z looks and sounds pretty cool. What do you think: If I take this one, will I need a reverb in addition to it?

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:23 am

Well it sounds to me like you just had a Moogasm!

THe delay is fantastic sounding, in short delay times and high feedback, it poses for a great vintage sounding reverb unit. You don't need reverb persay but Im sure you have some type of reverb effect laying around somewhere, on an amp or something. If you are using it mostly for the studio then you can go this route, but even the cheapest reverb you can find will work well here.

Novamusik.com will give you some fantastic deals on Moog gear like free expression pedals, dvds tshirts and more.

One thing that is a great asset to the Voyager is the Vx351 which allows for the CV outputs that will allow you to do things like using the touchscreen to control the amount of feedback on the delay.

Another thing to consider is the Freqbox, which when used with the Vx351, functions as a 4th Oscillator for an even fatter sound.

THe Ring MOdulator gives you an LFO for control of any number of the Voyagers CV inputs (like filter cutoff, Panning etc) but even better it will allow you to get some Ring Modulated goodness out of the Voyager since it has limited Ring Mod capabillity.

The 101 Filter is still a nice choise because if you can run the filters in a series for some awesome evolving types of pads or other filtered goodness.

THe Cp251 is also an honorable mention for whatever you want to do. It provides some modules that allow you to expand on the Voyagers inputs, like an LFO, Lag processor, Noise, Sample and Hold which can do some very nice things with the Voyager.

You might also want to consider the Phaser or the Murf because they do some wacky filter effects that are subtle or out of this galaxy.

But if you have your heart set on the delay I surely can't blame you one bit. If you act now you can get the SIgnature edition housing if Moog has any left.

WIth the delay you can get any cheap-o reverb or phaser to go with it and it will sound absolutely wonderful. SOmething about the Moog stuff they go together like Hydrogen and Oxygen.

COngrats on your purchase and I hope this post gives you some things to think about.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Congrats on your purchase - I had the same reaction when I got my Voyager Performer - where many synthesizers are tools the Voyager is a true instrument - extremely expressive.

Although I think the Moogerfooger effects are the way to go - especially given the CV capabilities when coupled to a Voyager, etc. there are some other options that I've found to work really well.

On the Moogerfooger side I own the RingMod, FreqBox and Lowpass filter. I use the RingMod and FreqBox on my Voyager but the Lowpass filter mostly on my bass guitar.

Attached to my Voyager I use the following non-Moogerfooger effects:

Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man analog delay - an amazing sounding delay on the Voyager.

Electro-Harmonix nano small stone phaser. Simple settings but a great sound.

Frostwave Resonator (Korg MS-20 clone HP/LP filter) - this filter really changes the sound of the Voyager in a good way. I don't use it on every sound but it really is a great addition and supports CV.

Z.Vex Fuzz Factory - great fuzz for the Voyager.

I've found the Voyager is like a guitar in the sense that you can plug an endless variety of pedals into it and get some amazing sounds.

Check out samples of these pedals and more at earsmack.com.

Good luck!
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:33 pm

ElectroHarmonix and Moog work very well together. My only complaint about EHX is that they lack CV control unless you get their expensive multimode filter.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm

I also like the choice of a VX351. I also think a nice reverb processor, like a Lexicon, really adds some dimension.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the club :)

The Lexicon MX 200 works very well, you'll have two ch, so you can reverb ( the spring works great) and or digital delay.
The reverse delay on the MX along with the MF104 can produce some really cool things.

Try using the filter in/out insert with an effect, the MF102 ring Mod and MF 103 Phase Shifter work really well. You'll need a 1/4" TRS to two 1/4" TR cable.

Lot's of possibilities :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Don't have a Voyager, but I do have an LP and Moogerfoogers(and YouTube videos, for the sake of SPAM SPAM SPAMMITY SPAM :lol: ), and I agree with EricK. Built-in amp reverb works wonders with Moog synths. The MF-103 is quite the powerful phaser, and fairly accurately reproduces Leslie-like effects, if that's something you'd be interested in.

In my opinion, (which is usually something to ignore), the 104z is slight overkill. Yes, I said it! Not that I don't like overkill...I have two 12" speakers in my bedroom hooked up to my stereo which I use as an alarm clock. :shock: If you can afford Moog's delay, go for it! I recommend the Bob Moog Signature for $729, as only a few were ever available, and fewer are left. So act now, and we'll throw in the enclosed instruction book for FREE!! :lol: I could totally be Moog's marketing director. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:43 pm

V
Youd be doing okay until you tried to get Chuck Norris to do Moog commercials.

I was going to actually mention TRS cables but I figured Id let someone else throw that in there.

You may also want to consider something like a Wah pedal or something like that.

But even better, if you don't already have the Voyager training DVD then Id get that. One interesting thing is that they use Midi to slave a string synthesizer or a piano module and run it back into the Voyager's filter. So essentially you will be using the Voyager as a polyphonic Midi controller but running that back into the voyagers filter to stack on the Oscs.

Its a very great sound and ive been yearning for a Roland Fantom XR (Rack module) for this purpose.

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:53 pm

EricK wrote:V
Youd be doing okay until you tried to get Chuck Norris to do Moog commercials.
Why? He does the home gym commercials. He could do them both at the same time. He's Chuck Norris!

I was going to actually mention TRS cables but I figured Id let someone else throw that in there.
Yeah, there's a million places in the forum where the use of TRS cables are explained.
You may also want to consider something like a Wah pedal or something like that.
The Danelectro Dan-O-Wah is a wonderfully inexpensive pedal to use with anything that makes noise, IMHO. I have used it with my LP with results that blew my mind. It may be hard to find, though. I think they quit making them. I bought mine new in 2002.

But even better, if you don't already have the Voyager training DVD then Id get that. One interesting thing is that they use Midi to slave a string synthesizer or a piano module and run it back into the Voyager's filter. So essentially you will be using the Voyager as a polyphonic Midi controller but running that back into the voyagers filter to stack on the Oscs.

Its a very great sound and ive been yearning for a Roland Fantom XR (Rack module) for this purpose.

Eric
Yeah...what he said. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:53 am

Built in amp reverb can and does work well, but with a unit like the MX 200 you have a lot more flexibility for sound creation. If at this point you can’t afford a reverb unit there is npthing wrong to use what is available to you at this time. If you are recording something like the MX 200 will give you a much cleaner recording. That being said, there is nothing saying you can’t mic with it’s reverb :) all depends on what sound you are going for. MoogerFoogers not only work well with other but other effects processors as well. Try using a few MoogerFoogers maybe one or two inserted in the filter loop then feed the output of the Voyager to another MF then to the MX200 or any other effect.

You can use the MF101 as a wha -wha pedal, plug an EP2 or equivalent ( the Roland EV5 works well) into the cutoff and have a blast. Not exactly the same as a “ true” wha-wha but works pretty well.

Cool thing with the Mf103 and the MF 105/105B is that they have “ stereo” out on them. Mono signal in, cool stereo imaging out. .

The MF104 is not for everyone, if you want a nice analog sounding delay that is warm, and in some way a little muted with a lot of voltage control options check it out. The loop insert alone is worth hours of fun . If you want delays that are a bit more clear something like the MX200 is a great choice. It offers several types of delay, reverb, and other effects , sounds great and is affordable. If you can afford the 104z sure go for it and if you can get a “signature” one for the same price, why not :) . The true limited though is the 104SD ( has 1400ms of delay) only 250 where made :) .

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:27 am

Thanks for all your recommendations. think I will start to look a little bit closer at the analog delays MF-104 and Electro-Harmonix. And may be I can add an effect processor with broader functions later (e.g. MX200). For now I am very keen on using a delay.

The cool thing is that one week ago I won a Mackie 1604-VLZ3 mixer, which was a give away from the German Keyboards magazine. I actually don't need this mixer as I have already a smaller one which is sufficient for what I do. So I can sell it on eBay and buy a nice effect processor. :D

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 am

No problem at all, enjoy.

There are several other multi effects out there ( Boss, Alesis) that also will work well and have more elaborate effects . The MX has most of your basic effects in it, it's main strength tough are the reverbs and digital delays . If you want to get real "spacey" with your delays try the Boss DD20, cool thing on it is that it has sound on sound, which means you can record up to 20 seconds of audio, then overdub another part, then another, then another.... check it out :)

You should be able to get a good price for the 1604, love that mixer . All my synths feed into a 1604 VLZ Pro then are routed to the recoding station( which also has it’s share of effects ) and monitors. Effects send 5/6 feed the MX200, ¾ feed the Boss SE50 and 2 feeds an old Boss PH 10. 1 is a spare . The MoogerFoogers are set-up each time for the desired results.
:)

johnypneumo

Post by johnypneumo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Ysee,
i Had the opposite effect at first,
i was jumping thru the presets and i felt a little underwhelmed,as tho i was expecting more.,
however,i got into editing some of the sounds,tweaking a little here,alittle there and as i did the instrument grew on me realy quick,.
so i bought the moog sound editor and loaded her up with choice sounds...
and bingo...
i was blown away.
now i have 2 :)
there a good machine and the quality and depth of the sounds is better than anything else ive played.

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:33 am

so i bought the moog sound editor and loaded her up with choice sounds...
and bingo...
I didn't know that there is a sound editor for the Voyager. Another thing to look at. What's the main purpose of the software? Does it come with more/different presets? Or does it help you to organize your sounds? Or is it a convenient interface to create/modify sounds? But what could be more convenient than creating sounds directly with the knobs?

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:55 am

I don't own the software.

Basically it will allow you to dump your 896 presets to the computer so you can have the entire memory bank free to create new ones.
You can also see how presets are created, do things like warp one preset into another. The features are listed on the page that describes the software. I also believe that you can sent individual presets or whole banks to the voyager. It also helps in upgrading the OS.

I also think that is provides a means to control your presets with a midi program in realtime while you are performing. Its a handy tool, I just don't have the computer to utilize it properly so I don't bother.

Eric