Controlling the LP from an external Keyboard

Everything Phatty.
jimknopf

Controlling the LP from an external Keyboard

Post by jimknopf » Wed May 21, 2008 1:30 pm

I would like to control the LP from my Access TI Keyboard or Roland G workstation casually.

Program changes work perfect, but it does not seem to accept Volume control via midi.

Any hints?

boose44

Post by boose44 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:54 pm

I dunno. I'm convinced the Little Phatty is running on Voodoo. The manual says it doesn't transmit Midi Volume, but when I turn the knob, my RME sure does respond.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on with the Volume control?

-bruce
[size=75]Little Phatty SE, Voyager RME, Kurtz PC2x0, Yamaha CS6x & RS7000
TD-12 VDrums, Pearl Masters' BRX, PD-11
Tascam 2488 & 788, Edirol UM-880
[/size]

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Wed May 21, 2008 3:49 pm

I want it to receive midi volume, not send.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 am

I meant receive on the LP, of course...

Anyone?

boose44

Post by boose44 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:12 am

Yes, I understood, jimknopf. Sorry, but I wasn't trying to hijack your thread.

My point was that it's not acting as though I would expect (per the manual) with Midi Out, in addition to your problem with Midi In.

BTW, have you double checked the pot-mappings?

-bruce
[/size]

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Thu May 22, 2008 11:44 am

What do the pot mappings have to do with midi in CC messages?

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Thu May 22, 2008 1:00 pm

hey jimknopf,i think boose 44 meant check what midi control numbers are assigned to the controller keyboard(ti?)

And if they arent mapped to the cc you want to control then change them.

hope that helps

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Thu May 22, 2008 2:35 pm

But that's exactly the problem:

I could route whatever CC from my workstation to the Moog, no big deal.
But the Moog at least doesn't react to standard volume cc.

The midi implementation chart just mentions things like program change or pitch bend (which do work in stadard way), but not volume control. It also mentions a row of available cc values without specifying their function. I just don't know if Moog took an irregular cc for volume control. I thought that one of you might perhaps already have tried to control volume, and found out if any CC works that way or not.

I will ask technical support if you all don't know...

boose44

Post by boose44 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:29 pm

From page 44 of the Stage I manual:

a. The MIDI CC assignments shown for each section are over-ridden when Pot Mapping is enabled in that section. For more on programming and enabling Pot Mapping, see page 32.

b. The LP responds to MIDI CC#07 (Master Volume), but the Output Volume knob does not transmit this MIDI message.

Hope this helps. If you get an answer from Amos or someone else there at Moog, please let us know!

-bruce
[/size]

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks, now I understand why to check pot mapping. Will check it...

(I use the LP TE with OS 1.03, and there pot mapping CC override is described in the addendum.)

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri May 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Jim - the LP Tribute Edition does not respond to MIDI CC7 (volume). I'm sorry; the hardware isn't there to support this function. :(
As long as you're using MIDI automation though; you'll actually get significantly better signal/noise ratio on your track if the LP output is always high, and you automate the channel volume in your sequencer/DAW. So, shouldn't be a big deal, I hope...

-Amos

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Fri May 23, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Amos. At least I can stop searching the needle in the haystack this way. ;-)

I'm not concerned about sequencer automation: this can be handled.

But at rehearsals and gigs I would like to be able to play and control the LP either from my workstation keyboard (Fantom G with plenty of midi functionality) or my Access Virus TI keyboard (excellent 61 keybed for synth play, with pitchbend and modulation wheel working well with the LP). Perhaps I could control the LP volume by some kind of foot pedal?

I'm very happy with the LP by the way: it was the first time since selling my Mini many years ago (hard to imagine today: to be able to pay a Korg Polysix plus digital delay!), that I am really happy with synth lead sounds (and some nice basses) again. The LP was immediately accepted by my band members as best sounding lead synth I used since a while. It is surprising to me how good it sounds together with TI pad sounds or Fantom G bread and butter sounds (Rhodes MkI!): like the cream on the cake...

One last question, though not belonging to this tread: I would like to upgrade to the 2.0 OS soon as possible and for this purpose add the required memory chip as well as the iupgrade fixing the disturbing filter noise problem. How (and when probably) can I do both in Germany?

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri May 23, 2008 6:19 pm

There are plenty of volume pedals out there (mostly designed for guitar but obviously you can use them for what you like) - Fender, Ernie Ball, Dunlop etc... all make them.

Since you are in germany Thomann will most likely be a good place to look. Hope that helps.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Fri May 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Ghost wrote:There are plenty of volume pedals out there (mostly designed for guitar but obviously you can use them for what you like) - Fender, Ernie Ball, Dunlop etc... all make them.

Since you are in germany Thomann will most likely be a good place to look. Hope that helps.
But the Moog LP volume control can't be done by a standard volume control, as far as I see. There's a CV type volume control input in the side panel though.

I forgot that for Midi CC07 as well: this is not the digital part of the synth, but the analog we're dealing with, controlled by voltage and not by digits...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 pm

I mean just literally run the audio out signal through the pedal as you would a guitar, no midi involved :)