Replace my LP with a VST

Everything Phatty.
kungfugeek

Replace my LP with a VST

Post by kungfugeek » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Sadly, I need to replace my LP with a VST for live situations. I don't have room to bring it with me anymore. I am looking for a VST that I can reprogram my patches in and sounds decent. I dont want some overly complicated VST such as moog modular. Anyone have any suggestions?

M

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Make room for it! :wink:
I don't think you can find a VSTi that comes close to the sound of a Little Phatty..
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

robles

Post by robles » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:01 pm

Well there's always Arturia's Mini-Moog VSTi. Depending on what you mean by not enough room, you could go for a Creamware 1U rack mount synth that's a digital recreation of the Mini-Moog. Then if you were doing any control changes you wouldn't have the latency of a VSTi. The Creamware rack synths run about $500. About a grand if you buy them with a full set of controls.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:42 am

THe Moog Modular isn't complicated at all....Unless you want to patch your own from scratch. Its just as easy as picking a preset and going to town. I think though in my experience, it lags a little bit and thats with plenty of ram, the buffer down to minimum and with a midi controller.

too bad about the LP though.

"Reason" is a great program and most people are using Abelton Live nowadays.

You shouldn't have to get rid of the LP though....just download whatever program you need.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:03 am

I would definitely say Arturia Minimoog too
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 am

Reaktor's "Fat Cat."
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:21 am

how come you dont have room to bring it anymore?
the lp hardly takes up any space at all!!

youll regret not having it on your gigs, not only does it sound stunning and cuts thru 1000 times better than a vst, it has bags of stage presence as well.

And whilst on the computer subject 9 out of 10 gigs i see when people are running laptops end up crashing within the first 3-4 tunes due to computers playing up...

try to do stuff live and not rely on lappys. thats the real challenge these days.

be brave!
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Summa

Post by Summa » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 am

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:17 am

MinimogueVA is remarkably good for free. Live I would still use the real LP if I could though. There's no substitute. :)

kanker

Post by kanker » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:42 am

Zebra 2 - the filters are insane and the routing possibilities are sweet
Little Phatty Tribute #0678

kungfugeek

Post by kungfugeek » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:54 pm

thanks for the replys, im keeping it on strage, nothing else compares. I just really with there was some advance midi support so I could effectivly use it as a controller as well. :(

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:51 am

Another vote for Zebra. The 2.2 version has a completely new set of presets by Howard Scarr, which even contain a number of emulations of the LP. They don't sound the same but they're not at all bad. It's far and away my favourite soft synth. And created by a pleasant, responsive, small company too (sound familiar?)

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:26 pm

You cannot replace the LP with a VST. No virtual analogue synth will come close. I have tried it. The Arturia Minimoog is good until you hear an original analogue Moog, the GForce Minimonsta is better, but still not as good as the original. The closest you can get to a Moog with a digital VA-Synth is the Nord Modular G2. But this is not a VST-instrument and it will take up as much space on the stage as your LP. Nevertheless I would like to encourage you to try these instruments next to each other: the Moog LP, the Arturia, the GForce and the NM G2 Demo.

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Better still, try the Zebra preset Thank you Bob next to the LP Thank You Bob. How close is close enough?

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Kungfugeek,
I'm selling my copy of Arturia's Moog Modular 2.0. I no longer use it now that I have the LP!

PM me if you're interested.

(I'm also selling my copy of Arturia's Arp 2600 as I'm about to get an Arp Odyssey :D )
MF-102, MF-103, MF-107