New member and a couple of LP questions

Everything Phatty.
cwinkels

New member and a couple of LP questions

Post by cwinkels » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Hello one and all.

First off, my thanks to EricK and Heidi for their help in getting me on this forum. They're both good folks who deserve a pat on the back.

I recently acquired a Stage Edition LP and love it to bits. Sonically it reminds me of the old Moog Source I owned back in university (serial number 1661; if you have the old thing please do drop me a line and say hi!), but with more patch memory, PWM, and a better interface. Most importantly, it sounds musical, which should be a given but is often a place where many instruments fall flat.

I do have a couple of questions about it though:

1. If I'm using the modulation section to have, say, the filter envelope drive pulse width, does that disable the LFO entirely? I'm just curious, as most synths I've dealt with aren't an either/or scenario. I usually like to be able to introduce vibrato even if the envelope (or OSC2, etc.) is being used as a mod source. Will be I be forced to use an external mod source - like a MoogerFooger's LFO patched into the LP - in order to add vibrato or tremolo? Not a bad thing necessarily; I think I can sneak one of those past my wife!

2. I've noticed a small amount of residue around pitch and mod wheels that causes the plate around them to have a different sheen than the rest of the black surface. Is this just a bit of lubricant overspray from the wheels, or something else I should be concerned about?

Thanks for reading.

Chris

robles

Post by robles » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:03 am

I really don't think that currently you can use the LFO and another mod source simultaneously. But you do have stage that can send to two destinations. Since the LFO is digital, there might be a way they could implement a second mod source on an OS update. I'd definitely throw them a suggestion. I have the Tribute, which I'm very certain can only have one destination.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:34 am

1. You can't select two souces simultaneously.
You can however use the pitch wheel to create vibrato, check Jordan Rudess' video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nlfGgEGiIa4

2. As long as the synth works, this won't be a problem I guess.
On one of my LP's the display isn't alligned properly, but the buttons for the menu respond better than the other one..
I think these are just flaws in the finishing, not something you would expect from Moog, but it can't do any harm.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

cwinkels

Post by cwinkels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:38 am

Thanks, I was worried I might be a bit thick. Using the pitch wheel does work, although I'm actually more fond of the very cyclical, "seasick" type of vibrato a dedicated LFO provides.

I'd love to buy a Moogerfooger "ModBox" (to coin a phrase): an extra LFO (with Rate knob, Waveform switch and output attenuator knob) and an extra Envelope (ADSR, again with an output attenuator). Better yet, ditch the two attenuators and add two mod wheels (illuminated, if couse) for a more performance-oriented setup.

Sit it beside the LP, patch the two outputs into the pitch, volume, or filter inputs and away you go.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 am

With a CP-251 and an EP2 you can practically do the same thing, although I like the concept of a "ModBox". :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

cwinkels

Post by cwinkels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 am

The CP-251 heads in the direction I'm thinking of (and looks like a brilliant product), but I don't really have a use for Lag or a mixer and there's already S&H on the LP. I'm thinking of something a little more stripped down and focussed.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 am

A lag processor can come in handy if you want a slight delay in the CV signal (say the LFO).
An extra S&H could be convenient for some extra modulation.

Why wait for a new product if you can do the trick with the products available? :)
Last edited by Maskin on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:50 am

There are a lot of cool things you can do with the CP251 at least on CV pedal and the LP one being routing a CV to both the filter and pitch CV in on the LP, then use the MOD wheel to control something else. Use the Control Voltage Mixer section to combine two or more waves from the LFO, use the multiple and lag processor to really make cool sounds :) . You can make very simple routings with the 251 and LP or fairly complex ones. Start adding MoogerFoogers to the mix and you’ll never leave home again :)

cwinkels

Post by cwinkels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:55 am

Don't get me wrong, the CP-251 looks like it covers a great number of scenarios, but S&H just isn't a feature that I find all that useful (for me, personally - I know a lot of far more talented people than me get a good deal of mileage out of it), and lag-imposed delay is a once-in-a-blue-moon thing for me.

I do however get a lot of inspriation out of LFOs and EGs, and I can think of a lot of uses for patching them in to introduce AM, FM or wow. I have this illustration in my head of a device that makes a very useful adjunct to an LP, especially if the visual aspect is similar. Hell, even give it memory locations 00-99 and a very rudimentary MIDI spec to allow the unit to track program changes from an LP.

Of course, now I'm just creating a Voyager by proxy, so I'd best shut up!

Tangsonghe

Post by Tangsonghe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:12 pm

Just a wee note you all probably know anyway.

The S&H on the LP stage is not really S&H as it
only generates a random mod source. I've always
found it odd that the modern VA manufacturers
tend to call random mod S&H. Real S&H (like on
the CP-251) is much more fun. Its easy to get
random mod effects but you can generate non
random LFO effects too that take the waveforms
way beyond triangle, saw and square.

Like cwinkels I too wish that my phatty had just
a wee bit more in the way of modulation capabilities.
Still, I find that the limitations get me working in
new ways that I wouldn't normally try.

cwinkels

Post by cwinkels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love the LP. Just last night I came up with this weird patch with an audio rate LFO driving a synced OSC2 that sounds variously like a badly tuned bass guitar, a steel drum, or a flanger set to zero sweep. Very organic, very idiosyncratic, as one octave sounds remarkably unlike the rest. That didn't take eleventy billion mod sources, so the potential is there in spades.

I think I'm slowly coming around to the idea of a CP-251. :wink:

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 am

Welcome to the forum, CW! Glad you made it. hehe

I don't own a LP but my guess is that you need to find a reason to buy more Moog gear! lololol :lol: Maybe the Mp-201 would do you some good.

On S&H,
Man I love sample and hold, I use it all the time!

Id love to see Moog make an "Envelope Bus" or something. Like a cp251 style with an EnvGen, Env Follower, Dual Trigger Delay, VCA, MULT...

and you posted something about a Mult....well its hard for me to try to visiualize something....you might want to think about getting a dotcom modular system or at least a few modules because it sounds to me like the level that you are on in your programming is signifigant, and the kind of LFO routing that you are talking about could best be done with a mult and destinations with a specific jack. Take 1 LFO signal, multiply it, then send it to 3 more destinations then you wouldn't necessarily have to sacrifice any oscilators that you would rather use for something else.

A lot of times too, when you start getting into things like the Cp-251 and any other modular synthesis gear....things that you don't think that youd have a need for become impossible to do without once you realize exactly what it does. Ive decided that Im going to get an Osc Module, the Delay and the cp251 even though once before I never had any desire to ever own 1 Moogerfooger. (Until I saw the DVD and saw them demonstrated then I realized that I needed them badly!)

WHo knows, one of these days you might find yourself wishing that you coudl control your LP with a CV Theremin. lololol

Shoot me an email!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

cwinkels

Post by cwinkels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 am

Ah, man... now you've stirred up a huge kettle of fish. :wink:

The whole modular thing - even in a small-scale way - makes me break out in a bit of a sweat. Back in the late '90s I had a fairly big ModCan system, plus four or five keyboard synths at any given time, and a 6' tall Hammond rack stuffed to the gills with gear. If I found a used piece of kit for under $200 I'd buy it just to have it. It didn't even need to be a good piece of equipment (case in point the $20 Gemini Echorder which had all the sonic fidelity of Edison's wax cylinders). It was insanity for me. I never played anything because I was bent over tweezing the parameters of a TX81Z on the little 2x16 LED screen, or reaching up in the air to hit one of those teeny buttons on the face of a K3M, or trying to get the ESI-4000 to talk to the Zip drive. If I wasn't doing that I was fishing around for a patch cord of the appropriate length and colour to make the ModCan's sequencer reach the Phase/Timbre module (which perversely was on the other side of the room). I had one wall with precariously piled stacks of SOS and Electronic Musician magazine, threatening to avalanche onto the floor.

Something had to give, and indeed it did. I'm prone to large, grand gestures, and I did so by clearing out my entire studio in the space of three weeks and spending the money on a new "fun" car for myself. I didn't lay fingers on the white and blacks for about 5 or 6 years afterwards.

But about a year ago the bug hit me again. This time I've told myself (like the man who says "just one drink") that I'll keep it low-key. One keyboard (the LP fit the bill for sound quality and space constraints). One decent quality module (anyone with an MKS-30, 50 or especially 70... please drop me a line!) for the polyphonic stuff... and that's it. I'm already violating that first self-imposed commandment for considering a Moogerfooger.

Sorry to ramble. There has been a lot of good advice in the thread. I'm just trying to preserve sanity, marriage, and wallet. :shock:

robles

Post by robles » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:42 am

For $600 you can get the perfect mod unit for your LP. I bought Spectral Audio's Neptune II, which is three oscillators, HP/LP filter, and it works perfectly at modulating the LP. Route the LP out into the Neptune external in and you have a Band Pass or a Notch filter. Oscillator 3 can be switched as an LFO, and your can use it to get something you don't have on the LP: an envelope to the LFO. Route the Neptune into the LP and you have a 5 oscillator monstrosity. The Neptune also has FM. And, of course, you can have a completely seperate second analog synth. The sound is great. The filter is more brilliant than the lush Moog so I like the Moog better, but the Neptune's filter tracks perfectly and cleanly at high resonance. And I actually find the saw waves sharper and better defined than the Moog's.

Mine did have one problem though. The midi learn function doesn't work. That's to save the few parameters you can alter with midi after you turn it off: Aftertouch, Note Priority, Envelope Retrigger, etc. I wrote the guy and said I needed to switch out a resistor on PC board with a lower value.

Other than that, the synth works beautifully. And is a perfect 2U rackmount modulator for the LP.

dave500

Neptune II

Post by dave500 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:26 am

robles wrote:F
Mine did have one problem though. The midi learn function doesn't work. That's to save the few parameters you can alter with midi after you turn it off: Aftertouch, Note Priority, Envelope Retrigger, etc. I wrote the guy and said I needed to switch out a resistor on PC board with a lower value.

Other than that, the synth works beautifully. And is a perfect 2U rackmount modulator for the LP.
Let us hear it. :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron