Dusty! (help?)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
museslave

Re: Dusty! (help?)

Post by museslave » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:57 pm

MC wrote:
museslave wrote:As long as your cloth cover fully covers the synth and doesn't allow for a lot of air flow, AND isn't particularly lacking in density, dust isn't going to get through. Of course, because it's cloth, dust might come FROM it, but isn't necessarily getting THROUGH it.
Respectfully disagree.

The dust I am seeing is light colored.

The towels I am covering the synths with are black.

The dust is the same material whether the synths were covered or not. It is a very fine dust. Cloth is porous, very fine dust is going to go through it. The light colored dust is not coming from the black towels.
I don't know, MC. I told you not to buy cheap towels. ;)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Hiya,

I purchased two of these for my Yamaha DX7 and DX21. I will see how I get on from here. Thanks for your help.

Paul
(61/76 x Note Cover)
(61/76 x Note Cover)

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi folks,

After making enquiries and taking into account the kind advice offered here on MMF, I have decided to go along with Cover It Audio. Many companies were either not able to meet the (MiniMoog & MultiMoog) dimensions, or else they simply did not reply(!). Price includes shipping from US to UK :-
Dusty
Dusty
I will post a photo demo upon receipt in 2015! :D

Ta,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi,
monsterjazzlicks wrote:I also asked the seller about ones to fit a Moog (3 & half octaves)?
My MOOG covers from the US arrived this week :mrgreen:

Best,

Paul
Cover It Card 1
Cover It Card 1
Covert It Card 2
Covert It Card 2
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:40 pm

And...
Mini & Multi
Mini & Multi
Moog Covers
Moog Covers

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:53 am

Cover-It-Audio was a good choice. In my opinion, even the simplest of accessories should be researched extensively before buying. Congrats on the covers!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks for the infos, and follow-up photos, Paul ! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi,

Glad you liked the pic's!

They may be helpful to anyone else who is thinking of making a similar purchase. Might save them some time hunting around etc.

Cheers,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Hiya,

Because I have now got my two Moog's set up (and out of their hard-cases), I wanted to give them regular blasts of electricity and playing. Would it be ok, or not, to leave them powered up but with the dust covers ON? So that they can be left of for a couple of hours at a time (whilst I am not playing them) but with the covers ON (to protect them from dust)?

Obviously "OVERHEATING" is the key word here! :shock:

Thanks,

Paul

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:22 pm

A couple of hours you`ll be off ???......Are you living in the Sahara in an open tent ?....... :lol:
Now seriously, very nice covers, and seem to be very handy for the rehersal room.... :)
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi MV,
megavoice wrote:A couple of hours you`ll be off ???......Are you living in the Sahara in an open tent ?....... :lol:
You mean "how can I keep my hands off it for a couple of hours"!?
Now seriously, very nice covers, and seem to be very handy for the rehersal room.... :)
Well my flat seems to get very dusty. The MOOG's are obviously ok in their flightcases. Just not so when they are exposed on the keyboard X-stand (without the 'Cover It's' on).

Ta,

Paul

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hi MV,
megavoice wrote:A couple of hours you`ll be off ???......Are you living in the Sahara in an open tent ?....... :lol:
You mean "how can I keep my hands off it for a couple of hours"!?

l
No, I`m very astonished about the fact that your keyboards are getting obvoiusly dusty that fast.
If I don`t play I`ve to brush the dust away after a week ????
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:56 pm

These solid-state electronic devices are not like a mechanical device, like a car engine or something, that needs occasional running to lubricate the internal parts with oil.
Letting those Moog synths sit powered on, under a cover or not, serves no useful purpose.

The best thing you can do, is to power them for about 10 minutes, once a month, whilst manually moving all those potentiometers across their full travel many times over, and flip all the switches back and forth and play all the keys several times over, to remove some traces of oxidation and corrosion, by way of mechanical friction, that might want to build up on those contacts and carbon traces.

Of course the very best way to maintain those fantastic machines is to...actually play them ! (but you already knew that, right ? :wink: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Thank you Alien,
thealien666 wrote:The best thing you can do, is to power them for about 10 minutes, once a month, whilst manually moving all those potentiometers across their full travel many times over, and flip all the switches back and forth and play all the keys several times over, to remove some traces of oxidation and corrosion, by way of mechanical friction, that might want to build up on those contacts and carbon traces.
Thats great, cheers. But even so, will having the covers ON whilst they are powered UP cause potential damage/hazard?

Thanks,

Paul

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 pm

I don't think so. Not for a few hours at a time.
Unless the temperature in the room is already pretty high (above 30 degrees Celsius), and/or if those covers are exposed to sunlight (black covers will get quite hot under the sun).
That Minimoog D is built like a tank, and has seen its share of harsh on-stage conditions, under hot flood lights without problems.
The Multimoog might be just a tad more fragile, but still is a cool functioning machine and relatively sturdy.

Both of these beasts contain relatively low amount of electronics, and are running cool compared to todays keyboards full of hot running DSPs and what not.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion