Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Everything Phatty.
CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:14 pm

jcn7 wrote:Hi Amos, I too have an XS and Little Phatty (and the the new Oberheim Sem (mine shipped yesterday)!). My question is will I damage the Little Phatty in any way if I send cv's out from the XS into the little phatty? I just don't want to damage either. Thanks very much! Oh and thank you Amos for all of your latest up and coming updates for the MP201 also! The MP201 is fantastic now, but I can hardly wait for it's new HADRS's plus the other goodies you've mentioned. PS. I also have a chimera bc16 that I'm going to try and interface with the little phatty and XS. Thanks again Amos! Jaime
You should pick up a CP-251 for attenuation if you're sending anything higher than +5v to the phatty. i had a mobius a while ago and sent the gate out raw to the LP and it actually won't respond correctly if you send it voltages higher than it is rated for.
www.ctrlshft.com

jcn7

Post by jcn7 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks! Actually I do have a cp251, so I'll try that...I actually have tried the XS outs on my Moogerfooger Filter pedal cv in with great results, but I just don't want to hurt either unit by doing so. Actually now that I think about it, I think I even did try using the XS outs on the Little Phatty cv ins when I first got them, but since haven't. Would I cause damage by not using the cp251 in either case? Thanks! Jaime

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 pm

jcn7 wrote:Thanks! Actually I do have a cp251, so I'll try that...I actually have tried the XS outs on my Moogerfooger Filter pedal cv in with great results, but I just don't want to hurt either unit by doing so. Actually now that I think about it, I think I even did try using the XS outs on the Little Phatty cv ins when I first got them, but since haven't. Would I cause damage by not using the cp251 in either case? Thanks! Jaime
I'm pretty sure there's only a few cv outs on the XS that don't play nice with the LP; I snagged this out of the XS Manual, I bolded the outputs that should be attenuated:

INPUTS/OUTPUTS
CV In: 1 V/Oct standard, typically 0 to +5 volts (+15 volts max)
CV Out: 1 V/Oct standard, 0 to +5 volts
Mod Wheel Out: 0 to +10 volts
Velocity Out: 0 to +10 volts

LFO Out: -5 to +5 volts
Oscillator Modulation In: typically –10 to +10 volts (-/+15 volts max)
Waveform A: -5 to +5 volts
Waveform B: -5 to +5 volts
Waveform C: 0 to +15 volts (for sub oscillator divisions), -5 to +5 volts (for ring modulator and white
noise source)
Audio In: accepts line-level audio signals
Filter Modulation In: typically –10 to +10 volts (-/+ 15 volts max)
Velocity In: typically 0 to +10 volts (-/+15 volts max)
Gate In: gate on equals +1.5 volts or higher, gate off equals 0 volts
Gate Out: 0 to +15 volts
Envelope Out +/-: 0 to +10 volts
Filter Out / Amp In Range: -15 to +15 volts max
Main Out Range: 11 volts peak/peak max
www.ctrlshft.com

yowzer

LPTE out, LPTE back

Post by yowzer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:00 am

Three weeks, to the day. I need to read all about the new OS and the new menu structure!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 pm

I posted something over on the Moogerfooger forum but figured this would be a better place.

I have CV Out mode on my LP Tribute and have been messing with the 105M. There's a way to step the Murf envelope via footswitch, or more interestingly, via GateOut of the LP.

This is demonstrated on the CV Out video using the Arp, however I can't get this to work properly.

With the proper cable (which I finally have), it seems that keys pressed on the LP advance the filter settings properly, but once the ARP is enabled, the Murf just sits there.

Seems that ARP is not sending Gate Out signal or there is a magic setting buried somewhere within the new OS that I can't seem to find.

I've connected it to Mod Bus out successfully using this cable, however the wheel must be up enough and/or Mod amount on LP must be sufficiently high enough for the Murf to register what would otherwise be a "gate" tolerance. Also, turning the tempo or Mod frequency up too high causes the 105M to eventually stop (rising and falling of voltage likely seems to just stay wide open vs. a quick Gate-like pulse).

While interesting, the Mod Bus control portion is not exactly what I'm after because it has the side effect of altering the sound coming out of the LP (obviously) and is about a 1/10th of a second behind what I would consider the 'firing' of a gate. (this is difficult to explain)

Any help appreciated...

-Mike W. from NJ

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 pm

I am reasonably sure that the arpeggio is going to send a pitch output not a gate signal. I don't own a LP though.

Maybe there is a Midi CC that will allow you to control the steps via Arpeggio.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Maybe try messing with the legato setting to get the gate to fire while using the ARP.

sine

Post by sine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Amos wrote:Mod Bus CV output is past the mod wheel and amount controls, so you have realtime performance control of the modulation. I've used it to allow the LP to be a CV controller keyboard for my Future Retro XS, complete with mod wheel, and it works quite nicely.
It seems like it would be more useful to have the Mod Bus CV output before the Amount control. The target external module being modulated will likely have a level control, so the Mod Bus CV could be attenuated there. That way the LP's Amount control could be adjusted so the LP's internal sound is not necessarily affected by the Mod wheel and the external module still is. I'm sure there's a better way to word this, but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say.

Could "Mod Bus CV pre Amount" be offered as an optional modification?

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:18 pm

sine wrote:Could "Mod Bus CV pre Amount" be offered as an optional modification?
It ought to be as simple as connecting that line to a different point in the circuit, to get the unattenuated mod source signal. If you send in your LP for the CV mod just ask us about that at the time... I think it would be no trouble.

sine

Post by sine » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Excellent.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:18 pm

How about a switch for switching between pre and post amount? And would such a mod bypass the mod wheel?
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:25 am

or even easier another out jack one pre mod wheel and one post

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 pm

One thing that I noticed about the cv out mod is that it does not send pitchbend information. I am currently using my Lp to also drive a Rogue. I think that it would be nice to have that be an option included in the next update, that is: pitchbend that effects pitch cv out.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Benjaminmulkey wrote:One thing that I noticed about the cv out mod is that it does not send pitchbend information. I am currently using my Lp to also drive a Rogue. I think that it would be nice to have that be an option included in the next update, that is: pitchbend that effects pitch cv out.
Ditto and bummer. I suppose it's the pre-post discussion again. In the LP's case, the amount is modified by the CPU setting of range/steps for UP/Down and likely attenuates the CV or boosts it accordingly after the CV out.

I want my right (wood in my case) panel to look like a shotgun struck it, ports for absolutely everything !! BUT it's still a great great mod and I'm glad I did it.

eXode

Re: Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Post by eXode » Fri May 14, 2010 4:23 am

Hi,

I don't know if I'm blind (probably heading there) but I can't find any info on the CV expansion on the moogmusic.com site. Is this info removed?