Interesting model D / Voyager comparision

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
goldphinga

Re: Interesting model D / Voyager comparision

Post by goldphinga » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:50 pm

monokit wrote:Ok fine. So now, please, can we repeat the test with a Rudi Linhard (slewrate mod) modified Voyager (i have one)?

In case you wonder whats this slewrate mod is doing...have a listen:

Old Slewrate: http://share.ovi.com/media/noiseprofess ... ssor.10026
New Slewrate: http://share.ovi.com/media/noiseprofess ... ssor.10030

Out of interest how much does Rudi charge for this mod and what does the mod involve exactly?

Cheers
Last edited by goldphinga on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:27 pm

with the original voyager , i always had the feeling "it had some plastic" over the sound, like virtual analogs have. i missed "the bite" when i needed it.
with the rudi mod it has more directness in sound.
i don't agree about the thinner, in fact it's fatter.
i feel it's more analog,the sound is more direct, more " in the face" and i'm more pleased with it, but afcourse it's personal.
i don't actually recall the price, but it was very fair, not at all a rib out of the body , as they say overhere.
besides he also modded the aftertouch, much more playable, the pitchwheel ( i have a signature ), some inner condensators, full callibration, also of the touchpad and the portamento to cutoff, + on my request two tiny switches for switching the pwm on/off for osc 2 and 3. ( and the memoryexpension , most expensive mod of the whole package)
all together several hundert of euro's. better ask him directly when interested.
i fully believe my voyager is a better synth now , more in the line of the moog synths i knew ( mini,multi,prodigy, sonicsix ) .
anyway next tuesday a friend will come with his voyager and we will put them side to side.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:with the original voyager , i always had the feeling "it had some plastic" over the sound, like virtual analogs have. i missed "the bite" when i needed it.
with the rudi mod it has more directness in sound.
i don't agree about the thinner, in fact it's fatter.
i feel it's more analog,the sound is more direct, more " in the face" and i'm more pleased with it, but afcourse it's personal.
i don't actually recall the price, but it was very fair, not at all a rib out of the body , as they say overhere.
besides he also modded the aftertouch, much more playable, the pitchwheel ( i have a signature ), some inner condensators, full callibration, also of the touchpad and the portamento to cutoff, + on my request two tiny switches for switching the pwm on/off for osc 2 and 3. ( and the memoryexpension , most expensive mod of the whole package)
all together several hundert of euro's. better ask him directly when interested.
i fully believe my voyager is a better synth now , more in the line of the moog synths i knew ( mini,multi,prodigy, sonicsix ) .
anyway next tuesday a friend will come with his voyager and we will put them side to side.
Look 4ward to hearing the comparison. Could you post some pics of yours and videos of the head to head too?
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm

More information about the slewrate mod please! A search found nothing expect the mention on this thread.

And I would like to hear an official company statement on the waveform rise times and difference in sound post mixer between D and V. We're not a bunch of nuts wishing for the old days nor is this a disasterous difference, but it is real.

B
I've stopped talking now.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:56 am

MC,

could you post an A/B/C-comparison of Voyager/Model D/Voyager->Model D, as described by you?
I'm really curious to hear the results in comparison.

@Amos and Rudi:
it would be nice if both of you could comment on the observations from the start of this thread.
Once again: none of us is into mystifying the model D, so don't fear we get into one of these principle threads exaggerating the difference.
it's all just about liking to play with a certain kind of sonic character, which most of us seem to have fun with.
I for one certainly do.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:25 am

MC wrote:It has been known that the model D with the filter wide open possesses a top end sheen that the Voyager is lacking.
I have both as well. A later model D (serial number over 10.000, and have
that one for over 20 years now) and a Voyager Old School. Some time ago
I did a 1 on 1 comparison by just listening , as I have no technical means
doing a comparison electronically I too noticed the lack of brightness in the
Voyager, but I find that not very dramatic . The model D has slightly
more punch. However, I find that the Voyager Old School sounds more
creamy/ballsy in the mid and bass end. It does a better job in the old style
Tangerine Dream bass sequence sounds for instance, that I usually make.
The model D might be better in searing solo type sounds, like known from
Rick Wakeman and Patrick Moraz. I think both Mini's are good complements
to each other.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 am

LivePsy wrote: And I would like to hear an official company statement on the waveform rise times and difference in sound post mixer between D and V. We're not a bunch of nuts wishing for the old days nor is this a disasterous difference, but it is real.
B
+1 to that request

Amos?
Rudi?

Please comment.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:21 pm

i don't understand people believe the voyager is a model-d.
its evident that soundwise there is difference. both a exceptional well made synth's, but if you want a model-d , i'm sure you will have to go just for that. ( prices are about the same now )
so, don't think testing/ proving there's a difference is very interesting.
testing the differences between the modded and not modded voyager might help to find the best config for the voyager, making it a "better" instrument. that i would find much more awarding

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Its not that, its just that why not have the full top end possible available? I think with a little update Moog could easily pull this off.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:i don't understand people believe the voyager is a model-d.
its evident that soundwise there is difference. both a exceptional well made synth's, but if you want a model-d , i'm sure you will have to go just for that. ( prices are about the same now )
so, don't think testing/ proving there's a difference is very interesting.
testing the differences between the modded and not modded voyager might help to find the best config for the voyager, making it a "better" instrument. that i would find much more awarding
I see nobody in this thread believing the Voyager is a model D.
I for one hope it is not: I don't need oscillator drifts, and I prefer having presets avaiable besides all knob tweaking, just to name two reasons.

But there's something in the sound of a model D which has always attracted musicians, and it would be ridiculous to make a taboo of the simple question, if it is possible to mod the Voyager a bit in that direction.

The one thing I don't understand is why this simple question, concerning two different synths so closely related, can't be dealt with in an unexcited manner, without either mystifying the model D or denying any need for comparisons possibly leading to useful modifications. Both reactions are useless from my view.
The alternative is
a) technical clarification after obeservations like in the beginning of this thread, at best from those who know the synths best
b) dealing with user wishes for possible modifications, as long as users are ready to pay for such modifications

I see no reason whatsoever not to debate both in a calm and reasonable way. So what?

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 am

i couldn't agree more.
by the way, the mini is keeping it's tune well, and..the slow drifting between the osc is the best part of the sound. one way or another they don't lock like almost all other analog synth's do so quickly.
still don't know if that's due to the powersupply.
i hope i can record some tonight when comparing the voyager and the modded voyager

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:33 am

left/right side comparison of moogvoyager.
to find out differences between modded and unmodded moog voyager .
used were a modded voyager signature ( serial098) and an unmodded voyager performer ( 2years old)
( one instrument stands on left side, other on right side, played on the same time by midi connection, switch left/right on your audioplayer to hear the difference )

original 24bit aiff's can be found here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/230633 ... bas_re.zip
these are mp3's:
http://soundcloud.com/sunny-pedaal/tracks

comparing the presets1-4, isn't really honest as the presets were optimised for an unmodded voyager.
good luck friendly greetings, sunny
Last edited by sunny pedaal on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:19 am

I really don't hear the difference like a Voyager is to a MiniMoog. And I *want* to hear a big difference :(
I've stopped talking now.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:07 am

LivePsy wrote:I really don't hear the difference like a Voyager is to a MiniMoog. And I *want* to hear a big difference :(
i didn't compare the model d to the voyager ! ( as those are complete different machines to mho )
i compared the modded voyager ( rudi 's slewrate mod) to an unmodded voyager.

till

Post by till » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:50 am

The slewrate mod is adding more high frequency content to the oscillators, due to sharper/steeper waveshapes (hence the name). You will notice a more direct sound. Filter distortion is adding more brightness. And the overall sound is more direct. And using audio FM gives a clearer sound. It is not a huge difference like from the original Minimoog to the Voyager (without mod), but it is easy to hear in an direct A/B. I am enjoying this mod as much as Rudi's aftertouch mod which is way better then the one ordered and installed with the hardware 3.0 update.

I think the price for the slewrate mod depends on the revision of the analog board you got. There are little differences in the type of OP-amp used. But better ask Rudi directly about this.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16