S-Trigger out?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ColorForm2113

S-Trigger out?

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 pm

does anyone know where i can get the S-trigger out cable for my MicroMoog? i have the S-trig in thats used to trigger the Moog, but i want the cable that allows me to trigger WITH my Moog. i cant find these anywhere... :cry:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 pm

You are wanting the female or the male? Synthesizer.com makes a male V to Strig cable that will allow you to fire Moog modules like the 921 VCO and the Envelope Generators and the Sample and hold.

You are wanting the female plugs so that you can fire your envelopes on the Micro right? Maybe Kevin has one and if not then I know that modusonics has the part that you need.

EDIT: MODUSONICS IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS DUE TO INSTANCES WHERE HE HAS FAILED TO RETURN ITEMS TO CUSTOMERS AND HAS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO REACH FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW.

Eric
Last edited by EricK on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:19 am

no, the cable with the socket not the prongs. for the jack in the output section

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:05 am

I'm guessing that you want to go from an S-trig out to a V-trig in?
If so, that direction is more difficult to make than going the other way.

The S-trig is just like a switch to ground. It produces no voltage.
If you need a V-trig, the voltage has to come from somewhere.
When I've made converter cables for Moogs, they have one plug that goes on the S-trig, another that plugs into an accessory power jack and one for the V-trig out (actually a gate signal.)
That's the reason you don't see so many of these adaptors out there.
They need to get power from somewhere. :(

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:10 pm

ooohhh ok, ijust figured it was kinda like the other cable but with the female end on the cable. because what i want to do is send the trigger to start a sequencer when i start playing... would i be able to use the envelope out of the MF101 to do this?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:42 pm

If im not mistaken, and if I read the manual properly, then if you had a 1/4th plug with the Moog adaptor on the other side, then your guitar woudl be able to send a trigger signal. If Kevin is right, and Im quite sure that he is then I woudl be wrong to assume that since there is no voltage from the guitar, HOWEVER perhaps what Im thinking is that the male tips on the Micro...they can be closed with a nickel. Just touch the wires with something like a nickel and that shoudl besufficient to fire the envelopes. That kind of trigger (from what I remember reading in the manual) is easy to close.

Does that sound right to you Kevin, or can you point me back int he right direction?

E

Edit:
Now that ive thought about it a little further, a gate signal is +5 volts right? So the envelope output woudl be a varying voltage that could be turned into a +5 gate signal with the mixer of the cp251.

Right??????

Eric lol

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:15 am

Gate signals vary, but generally you want at least 8 volts and more like 10 or 12.

Still, I'm not sure everyone's communicating fine here. :)

Colorform said "S-trigger out cable for my MicroMoog."

So that's a trigger coming out of his Micro when he plays the keys.
If that signal is to be used with another synth like an Arp or Oberheim (or whatever), it has to be converted to a V-trig or gate.
That requires a powered converter.

Going the other way (V-trig to S-trig) requires no power at all.
A gate signal has voltage and can make a transistor close to ground.
That's the same thing as an S-trig: a short to ground.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 pm

So Kevin, Can you make one and how much?
Thats the real unanswered question here lol.

E

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Here is a text file I downloaded from somewhere, converted to GIF.
Gets power from a 9v battery.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Yeah, that's a basic circuit.

One thing though, a 9v battery isn't recommended or driving Arps.
While they may trigger at that voltage, their peak env voltage is usually derived by their gate-in voltage.
So hotter gates make hotter envs.
With other synths, it might not make much of difference.
But as this converter battery dies, an Arp might stop working or get quieter, etc.

My price for something like this?
Probably about $80 or something.
It can be done MUCH more cheaply, but I only have Switchcraft plugs, Mogami wire and that level of parts here.
Some whiz kid with Radio Shack parts could do it for less than from me.
Cheapest would be to mod the Micromoog for a gate out.
You might even reuse a jack you normally don't use and just add the parts necessary.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:27 am

cool yeah i have a friend that builds fx pedals and such ill have to see what he can do with this, specially since it is his stuff i want to trigger lol. but theres still the problem of finding the proper s-trig plug. do you sell just the plug part Kevin, incase my friend cant find one?

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:54 am

Those plugs are very common and currently made by no less than 4 manufacturers.

Try below...... :)

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/634/1319.pdf

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:55 am

sweet thanks!

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 am

I have a question related to this topic.. hopefully someone (Kevin?) will see this:

If you have created a S-trig to V-trig adapter, does the minimoog or micromoog produce an S-trig when you play a note on the keyboard? So you could plug into the s-trig and when a note is depressed, the s-trig on back is shorted? Also, if you are wanting to both trigger a gate on say a sequencer and receive a s-trig signal from the sequencer, (a Roland CSQ-600 in my instance) could you somehow use the same s-trig jack on the mini or micromoog, or is this a one way (in only) connection? If it is an "in only" connection, what connection would you use to create the s-trig out that is then converted to the gate and on into the sequencer (or controlling a gate in on another synth)?

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't know about he particulars...better wait for Kevin but one companies gate might be -5/+5 where another might be -10/+10.

As long as they are compatible you shoudl be able to trigger something like that.

But you can also short the S-trig by putting a nickel on there too. Fire your own evelope generators at will with a nickel lol. SOmething like that. Im really not qualified to answer that question.