wait and listen.....NAMM

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:35 pm

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks Bob!!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Cool, so now we know. What about the MF-106? Something different?!? I sure hope so.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:24 pm

:) Not saying it is but could be the 105B (Bass MuRF) is being “considered” the MF106... then again there may be a 106 that works with the 107... We'll find out in a few weeks

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:57 pm

how did you get this info??
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 pm

On the "New at NAMM' page on moogmusic.com:

"We will give more details out very soon but let us share one thing with you all-
EVERYONE at Moog WANTS a FreqBox. We are truly enamored with this one-of-a-kind masterpiece. Nothing compares."

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 pm

osc, sync, env, fm. awwww yeah!@!!!!! :D
www.ctrlshft.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Wow, this looks really great, and very close to what many people on this forum have been speculating after for a long time. I really like this audio signal freq modulation of the VCO. I've found it difficult to modulate a VCO from an irregular and low level audio signal like a guitar. But the frequecy modulation on the teaser track sounds great, so I'm really excited about trying this out.

But there are three things about this 107 that seem strange to me, not bad, just strange:

1.There's no pitch/frequency tracking of the input signal. It would seem that P/V circuits are just not a viable control source (none of the ones I've used work very well). Or else, it would seem like they would be the natural solution for controlling this oscillator.

2.There's an Envelope Follower instead. Just a little redundant if you already have the MF101.

3.There's oscillator sync, but only one oscillator. Maybe all that is needed for an oscillator to sync is a seperate internal clock source-- but I've never seen this before.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:41 pm

eric coleridge wrote:Wow, this looks really great, and very close to what many people on this forum have been speculating after for a long time. I really like this audio signal freq modulation of the VCO. I've found it difficult to modulate a VCO from an irregular and low level audio signal like a guitar. But the frequecy modulation on the teaser track sounds great, so I'm really excited about trying this out.

But there are three things about this 107 that seem strange to me, not bad, just strange:

1.There's no pitch/frequency tracking of the input signal. It would seem that P/V circuits are just not a viable control source (none of the ones I've used work very well). Or else, it would seem like they would be the natural solution for controlling this oscillator.

2.There's an Envelope Follower instead. Just a little redundant if you already have the MF101.

3.There's oscillator sync, but only one oscillator. Maybe all that is needed for an oscillator to sync is a seperate internal clock source-- but I've never seen this before.
maybe it syncs to the incoming signal? i'm not sure what the FM feature would do if this was engaged, but it'd be a pretty good bet that the sync locks the VCO to the ext signal. i bet this fooger also has a SYNC IN on it, so you can sync with other oscs while still using an ext signal. in that instance, the FM feature could employ some seriously awesome modulation. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Arachnodactyly

Post by Arachnodactyly » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:43 pm

[quote="eric coleridge"]

1.There's no pitch/frequency tracking of the input signal.[/quote

Are you sure? It definately sounds like that's what it's doing in the clip.Like you say though,however it modulates the frequency it sounds fantastic.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:21 am

CTRLSHFT wrote: maybe it syncs to the incoming signal?
Maybe you know more about this than I do, but I believe you need a square/pulse-like wave to sync an oscillator.

If there was some way for the VCO to sync to the input signal, this really will be a very remarkable VCO--- one that might track the input pitch without a normal P/V circuit. But I think this would be the first thing they mention if this was the case. Instead they seem to be celebrating the frequency modulation aspect.

Audio frequecy modulation of a VCO is alot like Ring Mod, and is probably what all ring mod type sounds are in the track. I cant wait to try it out

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:25 am

eric coleridge wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote: maybe it syncs to the incoming signal?
Maybe you know more about this than I do, but I believe you need a square/pulse-like wave to sync an oscillator.

If there was some way for the VCO to sync to the input signal, this really will be a very remarkable VCO--- one that might track the input pitch without a normal P/V circuit. But I think this would be the first thing they mention if this was the case. Instead they seem to be celebrating the frequency modulation aspect.

Audio frequecy modulation of a VCO is alot like Ring Mod, and is probably what all ring mod type sounds are in the track. I cant wait to try it out
my tech knowledge on this stuff is rather topical unfortunately, you may be right. regardless, i think this unit is going to be revolutionary in some way.. moog has a tendency towards awesome. ;)
www.ctrlshft.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:36 am

CTRLSHFT wrote:regardless, i think this unit is going to be revolutionary in some way.. moog has a tendency towards awesome. ;)
definitely. I've been wanting a discrete Moog VCO like this for ever to patch into my other synths. But it's a little curious that there's no octave select or waveform legend. I hope that the VCO is more than a square/pulse. But whatever, it looks and sounds great.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:44 am

No pitch-to-CV on the 107.

Hmmmmmm....I wonder what the 106 is... :)

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:52 am

OysterRock wrote:No pitch-to-CV on the 107.

Hmmmmmm....I wonder what the 106 is... :)
ditto! whats the deal with skipping a number? also, how has the 107 leaked and the 106 not if there is a 106 in the works (presumably) simultaneously?

i'll hold my tongue until NAMM, but theres some exciting things afoot!
www.ctrlshft.com