Voyager keyboard problem with low velocity

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Tommi Lindell

Voyager keyboard problem with low velocity

Post by Tommi Lindell » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:06 am

Hi.

I just got a brand new Voyager Perfomer Edition synth and found this weird behaviour with it's keyboard: when keys are pressed with a very low velocity they don't trig at all. And if I keep a (silent) key down and press it a bit harder, then it trigs the envelope. Is this a known bug, or does the keyboard need some kind of calibration? I couldn't find any topic about it on this forum.

I already tried the different keyboard velocity modes, but it didn't make any difference. And I noticed that this happens also with the keyboard's MIDI transmission.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:39 am

Try changing keyyboard modes. You'll find the option in the edit menu

Tommi Lindell

Post by Tommi Lindell » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 am

Acid Mitch wrote:Try changing keyyboard modes. You'll find the option in the edit menu
Thanks, I did that, but no change.

Tommi Lindell

Post by Tommi Lindell » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Ok, now I found out that this malfunction happens mainly on white keys...

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 pm

think you should contact amos doesnt sound normal to me..
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:46 am

goldphinga wrote:think you should contact amos doesnt sound normal to me..
Looks very much like the same problem I had with my Old School.
I had to take it in for repair to have the key scan board replaced.
There is a thread about a similar problem and how you could repair it
yourself:
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8527

cptpfeffer

Re: Voyager keyboard problem with low velocity

Post by cptpfeffer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Tommi,

I still have the same problem, mainly on two white keys.
I went to see the Moog Stand at the Music Fair in Frankfurt/Germany.
Here is the deal:

For around one and a half year the keys are from a Factory in China. They are really poor Quality, but a little cheaper than the old High Quality Keys. (If the keys are not closed "underneath", it is a chinese keyboard).
After a rather short discussions I will get a free replacement keyboard !
Also Moog sacked the Chinese Factory and changed back to the old supplier Fatar from Italy. Fatar really do build the best keys on the planet :-)

I would suggest to get in touch with the Moog service and try to get the same Fix as I get :-)

Best regards from Germany
Bernd

cptpfeffer

Post by cptpfeffer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Here is a link to the Fatar Keyboard.
Note, that the keys are closed on their bottom side....

http://fatar.com/FOTO%20HIGH/TP_8S.jpg

If your keys do not look like those on the picture, you got a chinese keyboard.....

Greets
Bernd :wink:

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:49 pm

^^ Note: that photo shows a different model Fatar keyboard - none of the Voyager keyboards look like that.

Bernd is correct on several points - yes all Voyagers are now built with Fatar keyboards again; there was a period where we were using these chinese keyboards.

However -- they are not all "really poor quality" at all... in fact they were the best quality we could find when we made the change from Fatar. We only made this change because at that time, we were not able to get keyboards from Fatar.

Since that time, Fatar's business has become much more healthy and we have a good relationship with them again... and only from the end of 2009, we started to see a higher rate of quality issues with the chinese keyboards. Prior to this, the chinese keyboards were fine... slightly different feeling action to the Fatar but also good.

We did our best to test and rejected any chinese keyboards that were not up to Moog quality, here at the factory. Unfortunately, in late 2009 some units did ship with keyboards which were not as good as they should have been. Specifically this issue with delayed or no triggering at low velocity. So, we are happy to replace Bernd's defective keyboard.

If you have a real problem with notes failing to trigger at low velocity, contact Moog service (techsupport at moogmusic.com) -- I am only aware of a few units worldwide with this reported problem so I do not anticipate it will affect many users. However, we take this very seriously and will act to correct any problems that are out there.

All the best,

Amos

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:33 am

I have bought a voyager in february 2009 and if you touch the keys, there is no doubt that the keyboard is really poor quality! You have to press the keys very deep to get a note-on event and velocity sensitivity is absolutely unusable! Either fatar makes crappy keys or this one of those chinese keyboards.

Is it possible to replace it with a fatar keyboard?
http://www.psicolor.de

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:32 am

I think this is possible. For requests like this, the best way to proceed is to contact techsupport at moogmusic.com .
If you purchased your Voyager from a Moog distributor (such as EMC in Germany), we can coordinate with the distributor to ship & install the replacement parts.

machinea

Post by machinea » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:15 pm

I think this is the same issue I reported. I'm going to try to send mine in. It's any annoying problem and on a lesser synth I'd let it go.. but this is my baby.

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 440#p57305

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 am

Amos wrote:the best way to proceed is to contact techsupport at moogmusic.com
Have you received my mail from 2010-04-24 to techsupport at moogmusic? I didn't receive a reply until now and am now questioning if i used the right address?

m0rb1d

Post by m0rb1d » Fri May 28, 2010 12:02 pm

enlightening thread.
i have always thought the quality of the keys were laughable. dont get me wrong, the voyager is probably the most quality piece of gear i have touched, but it baffled me that the keys were so low grade feeling, especially in comparison to everything else.

oh well, i sequence mostly anyways, but it's still good to know.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:57 am

I now have a Fatar keyboard which makes the voyager a completely different instrument in comparison with the crappy chinese keyboard!
Very nice!
Thanks to Moog Music and Stefan Hund @ EMC!