Taurus 3 - first sound samples!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Amos

Taurus 3 - first sound samples!

Post by Amos » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Spent yesterday morning in a top-class recording studio, doing a Taurus 3 vs. Taurus 1 comparison on their massive monitor system. I think we nailed the sound. So much low end it was scary - the chassis of their big 2-track tape machine started buzzing and rattling; walls were pumping to the beat frequency between oscillators... FUN!

Here are a few little sound samples, very rough and unpolished:

Dialing in the "Taurus" preset. This is not the exact final preset but you can hear we're getting close.
Taurus 1 on one channel, Taurus 3 on the other. Which one is which?
Click here to listen.

One big surprise to me was what an amazing acid machine the Taurus 3 can be. The arpeggiator really brings out a new dimension.
Here are some examples:
Taurus 3 arpeggiator loop
big bass arp
resonant arp

and lastly here's a hasty tour through a few different presets - sorry there aren't more extended notes to listen to, but you can get a sense of a bit of the sonic landscape.

Taurus 3 sonic sampler

Feel free to edit, sample and re-use these; I'm providing nice uncompressed 96k .wav files for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!

-Amos

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Thank you so much Amos for this. We have all been eagerly waiting since the announcement.

NAMM should be nice for you guys. Get wheelbarrows for your awards.

Im downloading the files now!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Amos, thank you for posting these sound clips!
i am so anxious to start stomping around on my set.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:49 pm

I guess T1 Right channel.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm

EricK wrote:I guess T1 Right channel.
My guess too - still needs just a bit more tweaking of the "drift" to nail the sound, imho. Very excited to get mine - hope they start shipping soon...

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:30 pm

The right side initially seemed darker, or fuller or more prominant. THe second listen, it was really hard to discern. I think I was listening too hard the second time. Left channel seemed to twinkle just a tiny bit brighter.

I think they pretty much nailed it, but it is going to start a true debate over 1 vs 3 and then the Model D vs Voyager debates will offshoot.

Then a hybrid Phatty vs Rogue debate will manifest and our computers will all get the blue screen of death.

Ill bet you guys had lots of fun with a whole two octaves of pedals to play with.

The arp sounds great I can't wait to record with it.

Amos,
take all the time you need to perfect it before you ship.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Eric, you are right - after several listenings, I can't seem to tell which is which. Man, I am so stoked to know they are almost ready! Sold my motorcycle today, and I'm going to buy either a Prophet 08 pe or an Andromeda - probably the Prophet (I've owned an Andy, and there was zero customer support, & the P-08 is a grand less & sounds fantastic). I think the Taurus/Prophet combo will mix well together, and I like the fact that both machines are made right here in the good old USA. Looks like 2010 is going to be a really good year!

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:31 pm

I think it would be more powerful if you went the Module route. Get the prophet module and then youd have enough for something like a Roland XR or Yamaha Motif Module.

That would be some powerful stuff to combine with the voyager.

Or get the Module and a nice fat juicy sequencer to sequence some arpeggios to. :twisted:

Im considering getting an electric upright so I will have a well rounded bass arsenal: Upright, Electric, Fretless, and synth as a nice bass station.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Fantastic. Regarding the first sample, is it the drift that's slightly different, or the attack?

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm

The right channel is the T1. The right side seems to be a little more unstable, almost a bubbling effect. Sounds like my T1s.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 pm

EricK wrote:I think it would be more powerful if you went the Module route. Get the prophet module and then youd have enough for something like a Roland XR or Yamaha Motif Module.
That would be some powerful stuff to combine with the voyager.
Im considering getting an electric upright so I will have a well rounded bass arsenal: Upright, Electric, Fretless, and synth as a nice bass station.
Eric - I've never been much of a module guy, I like full boards - btw, I just ordered the Prophet 08 potentiometer edition - oh yeah. Sold the Voyager , so I'm down to the Prophet, the Taurus 3s, and the Roland JP-8000. I see you are a bassist too - that's my main instrument as well - I mainly use the synths for our Rush & prog covers. Hope you fare better on upright than I did - I consider myself to be a pretty good electric bassist, but I can barely play a single note on the upright!

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:58 pm

Ive been playing the bass for about 15 years. I love Primus and Victor Wooten (met him twice, once with Fleck), Flea.....any of those funky slappers.

Prince is a helluva bass player too by the way.

I have an alvarez 4 (P&J) with EMG's, A carvin 5 string fretless, jasmine acuostic electric 4 (which I might be willing to trade perhaps) and have experience with uprights (not much, but enough to make me want one badly).

So Im a bass player at heart but I try to own and learn as many instruments as I can so Ive amassed a bit of a collection in my 15 years at it.

Im really wanting to be able to provide any type of bass that ANYONE might look for, which is one reason why I bought the T3. The sound samples have me beaming from ear to ear.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Damn - they sound like my T1 :lol:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 pm

Watch that whole file to be the T3.

Like my father once tried to get me to take the at home pepsi challenge, and filled both glasses with the same drink.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:54 pm

Sounds a bit mean! For a kid...