Breathe Controller for Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
taschenmusikant

Breathe Controller for Voyager

Post by taschenmusikant » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:55 am

Hi there everybody,

does anybody know if there exists a breathe controller (like the DX-7 one) for voltage controlled Synthesizers?
Piano & Sound Engines

Tim Kleinert

Post by Tim Kleinert » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:20 pm

The Yamaha BC3 Breath Controller (used for DX7 and all others) produces a control voltage.

The standard BC input wants to see 0 to -10V at the ring of a stereo input plug. The tip is the sourced -10V. So, the closer the received voltage is to -10V the greater the volume/modulation.

To use BC with a voltage controlled synthesiser using standard CV ranges (0 to 5V), you therefore need a powered inverting/attenuating circuit. It's just an opamp and a few resistors, powered by a 9V battery. A competent EE can build it easily.

GovernorSilver

Re:

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Tim Kleinert wrote:The Yamaha BC3 Breath Controller (used for DX7 and all others) produces a control voltage.

The standard BC input wants to see 0 to -10V at the ring of a stereo input plug. The tip is the sourced -10V. So, the closer the received voltage is to -10V the greater the volume/modulation.

To use BC with a voltage controlled synthesiser using standard CV ranges (0 to 5V), you therefore need a powered inverting/attenuating circuit. It's just an opamp and a few resistors, powered by a 9V battery. A competent EE can build it easily.
Looks like a Moogerfooger CP-251 can be used for attenuation, but can it also be used to invert the voltage? Or would an additional device/circuit be needed?

Just Me

Re: Breathe Controller for Voyager

Post by Just Me » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 pm

The white ring CP-251 can do it. (I use a Yamaha MCS2 for breath control.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Sweet idea.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

mikemilton

Post by mikemilton » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:25 pm

One could also use any wind instrument as a controller (eg: a WX5) routed either vis a mp201>CV or directly via MIDI. I really like the WX5 because it provides a very nice analog (hehehe) of an actual instrument so that things like bending into a note are natural gestures. One downside is that the breath and lip sensor are fairly low resolution (but would benefit from cv smoothing)
Cheers, Mike
Moog Lap Steel, Clarivox Centenial, Voyage Electric Blue, Varions Foogers
Eigenharp Alpha, WX7/5, Clavinova
Guitars: Harmos, Mohan Veena, National Hollowneck

Niko

Post by Niko » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:33 am

Hi Taschenmusikant,

just a question beside, your homepage link does not work anymore. Do you have a new one?

Greetings from Offenbach, the true pearl of the RheinMain-Area

Niko

p.s. in that content I'd like to mention following new page from Peter Maith from HR3 radio station about Offenbach Rock Music

http://www.offenbachrockt.de/bandlexikon/k/koma/

ahem, some Frankfurt musicians are included as well
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Just Me wrote:The white ring CP-251 can do it. (I use a Yamaha MCS2 for breath control.)
Thanks! The CP-251 has already been on my short list of next pieces of gear to add to my Voyager, for other reasons. The ability to easily convert a Yamaha BC-series breath controller voltage for use with Moog gear is nice bonus.