Wish list to Moogmusic...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Any of these look good?

Moog Analog Drum Machine
52%
Moog CV Sequencer
13%
Pitch to CV converter
4%
er...poly synth?
30%

Total votes: 23

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed May 16, 2007 4:51 pm

museslave wrote:I only request that Moog build a factory where they make their own analog components in such excess that they'll be available for centuries to come.

Is that so much to ask? Jeez. :wink:
And not only Moog synths, but every synth CEM chip ever made!

Stuckinabox

Post by Stuckinabox » Mon May 21, 2007 11:45 am

Modularfan wrote:I wish Moog would publish the calibration procedure for the Voyager. Those of us who have Voyagers long out of warranty would like to be able to do our own tune ups without the expense and hassle of sending the Voyager back to HQ. We can already open up the Voyager and install optional circuitry ourselves (like the expansion board), so why not allow us to do the same thing for tune ups?
Yep. I also wish that the ON mod source didn't drift. Have to tune my hoedown patch before I can use it.

rico1980

Post by rico1980 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Modularfan and Stuckinabox -

Amos at Moog has shared a tuning procedure with some of us who've had recurring tuning issues. I actually tuned my Voyager several weeks ago using the procedure (with a little guidance by phone from Amos). You may want to ask him about this.

Rick

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Tue May 22, 2007 2:28 am

I'd say +1 on the drum machine, but I wonder if the new DSI/Linn BoomChick will cover the analog + sequencer needs...I really do think this thing is going to kill it...has me kinda holding on buying a Jomox 999

My wish list would also include:

Phatty Racks that come in around $700 and can be chained to create a poly synth...add a phatty, add a voice...

I love all the foogers, just keep new ones coming...

monads

Post by monads » Tue May 22, 2007 11:25 am

Hyphen nation wrote:I'd say +1 on the drum machine, but I wonder if the new DSI/Linn BoomChick will cover the analog + sequencer needs...I really do think this thing is going to kill it...has me kinda holding on buying a Jomox 999
The DSI drum machine does look cool. But it's still a ways off to production so you'll be waiting for awhile :wink: The Xbase999 is an awesome sounding machine. I also have a Machinedrum. I know you're probably thinking why do I need two drum machines? but I wanted the best of digital & analog :lol: I'm curious to see how the DSI sounds compared to the Xbase999.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Tue May 22, 2007 1:05 pm

I agree, I have an XBase 999 and anyone interested in anything Moog or DSI might make in an analog drum machine should give a listen. You just might find what you are hoping for already exist.

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 22, 2007 9:30 pm

My wish list: a Voyager RME without the knobs. Stackable for a polysynth, parameters controlled over MIDI from a Voyager or RME with knobs. A modern day SEM polysynth.

A Phatty rack wouldn't cut it for a polyphonic - not enough modulation options.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue May 22, 2007 11:17 pm

Perhaps (somehow) also a method of multing all the CV for the "Mega" Moog.

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Wed May 23, 2007 4:31 am

monads wrote:
The DSI drum machine does look cool. But it's still a ways off to production so you'll be waiting for awhile :wink: The Xbase999 is an awesome sounding machine. I also have a Machinedrum. I know you're probably thinking why do I need two drum machines? but I wanted the best of digital & analog :lol: I'm curious to see how the DSI sounds compared to the Xbase999.
you have my dream drum machine set up!!!

do you find yourself working with either one more often?

I am borrowing a machinedrum from a friend right now, and about to buy either a machinedrum UW or a 999...

I am leaning a little towards the Machinedrum right now...while a little digital/glitchy leaning in sound, it is just so flexible...

the BoomChik is a year out...depends on how long I can hold out on my analog drum patience...I am pretty sure it is really going to have some killer sequencer abilities.

MC, I think your idea of a stackable rackmount Voyager RME without any knobs is a better idea than my first idea, of the LP rack...just thinking of cheapness....bet a barebones voyager would still be around 1500...

all this talk of analog drum machines, does make me salivate at the idea of some kind of moog drum synth, like the vermona DRM or the AS Concussor Modules...
Almost wonder about a moog drum foogers??? Kickdrum fooger????

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Wed May 23, 2007 7:01 am

rico1980 wrote:Modularfan and Stuckinabox -

Amos at Moog has shared a tuning procedure with some of us who've had recurring tuning issues. I actually tuned my Voyager several weeks ago using the procedure (with a little guidance by phone from Amos). You may want to ask him about this.

Rick
I guess that's the real point here. Moog has made this information available only to a select few when it should be available to all Voyager owners. I really don't think it's asking too much to have it posted online.

- MF

monads

Post by monads » Wed May 23, 2007 11:53 am

Hyphen nation wrote: you have my dream drum machine set up!!!

do you find yourself working with either one more often?

I am borrowing a machinedrum from a friend right now, and about to buy either a machinedrum UW or a 999...

I am leaning a little towards the Machinedrum right now...while a little digital/glitchy leaning in sound, it is just so flexible...

Almost wonder about a moog drum foogers??? Kickdrum fooger????
Well, I guess it’s only fair I give a comprehensive review :)

The MDUW has a killer OS. It's easy to use, functional and with Turbomidi sending samples to the machine is fast/easy. Parameter locks are what make the machine special. It has a nice selection of sounds and you can do some crazy stuff in Extended Mode.

The 999 OS is still developing and recently 1.20 was released which made available Song mode for the 1st time but there's still some issues with bulkdump to backup stuff and other little minor things. I have not fully explored this OS release yet and I have not attempted to send samples to the machine (they can be overwritten like the MDUW). From what I've read people are awaiting the sampler too to facilitate the ease of sending samples which Jurgen from Jomox has said it's in development. However you can still send samples to the machine without this tool.

Now if you know the MDUW you will understand the 999. Instead of Classic/Extended modes we have Performance/Pattern modes. Similarities are there but a little different. You can essentially do what are parameter locks with the 999 in Pattern mode and a little more. I would say the big difference here is you just can’t see on the 999 what steps have parameter locks and what part of the instrument (pitch, decay, etc.) was locked! Nor can I copy/paste a step to another. This makes it a little painful to work in this mode. You can create some cool stuff however and you do have the ability to parameter lock a different instrument (for those instruments based on samples of course) on each step if you wanted with different settings (pitch, decay, etc.) for each step! Only issue is you better remember what you did or finish what you’re working on right there because if you get crazy you’ll never remember how you got to point x from a. I guess it’s a just a different way of working. You can of course copy this pattern with parameter locks to another empty slot and tweak.

In terms of sound, the MDUW does what it does best for digital. 999 does what it does best for analog. That’s why I have both. However in terms of sound the 999 is what I was looking for when I purchased the MDUW. The bass drum is just so phat, and the snares sound different. Also to my ears I think the midi clock is tighter in the 999. This probably wasn’t the answer you were looking for, it just depends on what sound you want and type of track you want to make. Since I got my 999 I don’t use the MDUW anymore :cry: It just sits there. I’m sure I’ll use it again, but most of my percussion is taken care of by the 999 now. I forgot to mention another important thing for me is on the 999 how each instrument has its own output, ten of them vs. six on the MDUW.

For those who want the best analog drum machine, I think the 999 is it right now. You could wait out the boomchik arrival for comparisons. If you want the best digital the MDUW is it period. If you want the best of both worlds…well you know the answer :wink:

And if you just want an analog kick drum then the Mbase01 from Jomox has your answer. That would actually be a very cool setup using the Mbase01 with an MDUW.

monads out.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed May 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Oh yeah, the Mbase is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Thu May 24, 2007 4:02 am

man,

thanks for the awesome review! probably the best I have seen regarding these machines...

actually does tip me a bit back towards the 999 camp....I really can't seem to decide...i kinda think I may need to play them side by side...

the Mbase + UW has definitely crossed my mind....it's possible that my friend may sell me the MD sps-1 that I have had in my studio for the passed few months...

thx again...