Mock-Up Design for a new Moogerfooger CP Unit w/ image

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
CTRLSHFT

Mock-Up Design for a new Moogerfooger CP Unit w/ image

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:57 am

So I thought I'd try making a mock-up of new CP moogerfooger, in light of the modular possibilities starting to arise from the wake of MF-107 coming out. This fooger would add essential modular functionality plus a bunch of fun features you really only get with a modular set-up usually. And yes, I'm aware there's already a ring mod in the fooger line..two is better. :)

(if image is not displaying, click here)

Here's a quick run-down of the mock-up:
---------

~Envelope Generator: Voltage generator that changes over time, use with pitch/gate dynamics/filters etc.

Logarithmic/Exponential switch: Switches between two different response slopes. A neat feature I wish more envelopes had. I realize this switch type might be a little too big, so another option would be to use something more like the A-B switches on the MF-105's.. either way this would be rockin to have on an ADSR. :)

Attack: Controls attack time
Decay: Controls decay time
Sustain: 0 - 5v
Release: Controls release time

Gate: Incoming gate signal starts the envelope.

Pedal IN: Controls voltage of overall ADSR signal.

+OUT: Positive envelope out.
-OUT: Inverted envelope out.

--------

~VCA:
Allows control of the amplitude of a signal. Used in conjunction with envelope generator to shape dynamics.

DRIVE:
Sets the output level of the amplifier.

ENV IN: CV Input for dynamic amplitude control of the drive knob. ENV OUTs, Pedal IN, etc would all apply here.

IN: Audio IN
OUT: Audio OUT

--------

~CLIPPER: Clips the tips of a waveform (top and bottom) to create new waveforms.

LEVEL: Controls voltage level at which clipping will start.

Pedal IN: Allows for CV control of the LEVEL knob.

IN: Audio IN
OUT:Audio OUT

--------

~RECTIFIER: (description taken from synthesizers.com) The rectifier has the effect of taking the bottom of the waveform (the part below 0 volts) and flipping it to the top. When a sawtooth or ramp wave is used as an input, the output will become a triangle wave at 1/2 the frequency which is level shifted. When a triangle waveform is used as the input, the output will be triangle at twice the frequency. When a sine waveform is used as the input, the output will be a waveform with unusual harmonic content at twice the frequency. When a square or pulse waveform is used as the input, the output will be only be a small spike which has minimal usage.

Patching the output of the clipper into the input of the rectifier can create a whole new group of waveforms in which every other cycle is clipped.

neat huh?

IN
: Audio IN
+OUT: Rectified Audio OUT
-OUT: Inverted Rectified Audio OUT

-----------

~RING MODULATOR: Audio signal X and Y are multiplied, creating an output that contains the sum and difference of the input signals. A very simple but lovely version of MF-102.

X: Audio IN
Y: Audio IN
OUT: Ring Modulated Audio OUT

--------

~ATTENUATOR: Same as CP-251's, these cut down the strength of a voltage signal.

Knobs adjust the attenuation as normal -5/0/+5.
IN: CV IN
OUT:CV OUT

------

So there ya have it. I'd really dig something like this for my moogerfooger rig. How about you?
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:13 am

Neat idea!

Only thing I could offer would be to make one of the attenuators bipolar.
(center off, right positive, left inverted.)
Then one could use it as an audio or CV inverter.
If then the bipolar jacks on the env gen were ditched (pos only) and some room taken from the logo area, an extra LFO might be added.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:18 am

Kevin Lightner wrote:Neat idea!

Only thing I could offer would be to make one of the attenuators bipolar.
(center off, right positive, left inverted.)
Then one could use it as an audio or CV inverter.
If then the bipolar jacks on the env gen were ditched (pos only) and some room taken from the logo area, an extra LFO might be added.
aye the attenuators should read -5 / 0 /+5, fixed! :)
www.ctrlshft.com

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:07 am

Hello,

Nice Mooger idea. Also, you may want to consider swapping the clipper for a comparator.

Regards,

Lawrence

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 am

Great idea with the rectifier and clipper for a little waveshaping. How about a linear to logarithmic converter to turn triangle waves into sine waves.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:37 pm

That is a fantastic design CTRLSHFT.
It is such a logical extension of the CP/VX range, hopefully there is some way to get it produced.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:59 pm

dr_floyd wrote:That is a fantastic design CTRLSHFT.
It is such a logical extension of the CP/VX range, hopefully there is some way to get it produced.
thanks! with some strong support from Moog's musician base, i think anything is possible. and the best part is that even this module would still be attractive for guitarists to pick-up i think. the question of profitability is what it usually comes down to (that means pulling in musicians from all camps, not just the synth dorks ;) ), and i think a setup like this would not inherently alienate them like most aspects of a modular might (gross generalization here, but i think it's valid to a large degree). this would still be very friendly with the foogerseries on an effect by effect basis. at the same time, it'd be great for propelling the idea of a moogerfooger modular forward, as well as give some immaculately sweet options for LP and Voyager owners.. especially once the 107 comes out.

the only concern i'd have is with the cost/probability of fitting all these different types of circuits into one little CP box. I'll leave that golden question to Moog's team.. thats is, if something even remotely close to this is on the horizon. ;)
www.ctrlshft.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:27 pm

OysterRock wrote:Great idea with the rectifier and clipper for a little waveshaping. How about a linear to logarithmic converter to turn triangle waves into sine waves.
Great idea cntrlshft... nice work.

I'd like a log to lin convertor also... if it could be used to convert volt/octave to hrtz/volt scale. Or is that an "anti-log amp"(same thing?)?

or a gate extractor, or a s-trig to v-gate circuit...

Some utility circuit like one of these may be more useful than another Ring Mod...

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Love it! I'll take one.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:21 pm

maybe "Env In" on the VCA might be better described as just CV in... would be useful for more than just Env...

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:52 pm

All these suggestions could make this a very big box. ;-)

But... what if you had a small env detector / gate.
Then a guitar could do triggered envs with the env gen and VCA.
With the inverters, backwards guitar effects could be accomplished too.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:All these suggestions could make this a very big box. ;-)

But... what if you had a small env detector / gate.
Then a guitar could do triggered envs with the env gen and VCA.
With the inverters, backwards guitar effects could be accomplished too.
I was sort of thinking this was perhaps what the MF106 was likely to look like (in light of the new 107VCO, and to complete the basic synth):
gate extractor
ADSR
VCA

But I think it would be better as CNTRLSHFT is imagining it.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 am

eric coleridge wrote:maybe "Env In" on the VCA might be better described as just CV in... would be useful for more than just Env...
Yeah, I just figured they might put something like that for teaching purposes, as not all who purchased the unit would neccesarily know right away what it was for. They'd probably put PEDAL IN on it, otherwise. :p
www.ctrlshft.com

newname

Post by newname » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:24 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:~RING MODULATOR: Audio signal X and Y are multiplied, creating an output that contains the sum and difference of the input signals. A very simple but lovely version of MF-102.

X: Audio IN
Y: Audio IN
OUT: Ring Modulated Audio OUT
...perhaps an AC/DC switch like on the arp 2600?
then your little RM could do double duty as a second no-frills VCA.

hey gang, sorry i've been so quiet of late. my badass job has me hopping like a frog on a hot sidewalk.

X

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:31 pm

now that the 107's are out i want something like this even more. i own an RME (ie no need for VCA/Env Gen) and still think it'd be cool to have handy.

any vibe on this idea still, now that we have an osc unit?
www.ctrlshft.com