Minimax ASB

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Boeing 737-400

Minimax ASB

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:30 am

Does anyone have one of these? Does it sound convincing?

And does it really say on the back "do not smoke this product" and "do not microwave"? :lol:

As if I'd ever consider smoking one haha! Well maybe I have.... :D

GregAE

Re: Minimax ASB

Post by GregAE » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:50 am

Boeing 737-400 wrote:Does anyone have one of these? Does it sound convincing?

And does it really say on the back "do not smoke this product" and "do not microwave"? :lol:
I own it. I've held back mentioning it here (this is a Moog forum afterall), but it is a cool piece of gear that works well. The last time we were together in his studio, BrianG and I compared the Minimax ASB to his Model D. The results were very favorable. We both agreed that the Minimax was a 'polite' version of the Model D - the sound was definately there, but edged out by the raw and powerful original. However, I wouldn't have any qualms about using the Minimax as a Model D substitute in a live situation.

The Minimax has all the knobs of the 'D, providing fulll and immediate tweakability, and the layout is the same as the Minimoog, albeit slightly smaller. The front panel dimension (inside the wooden end caps) is 17 5/8", which means that it could be fitted into a rack with its end caps removed, but I can't say if this was Creamware's intent. Overall dimensions are 18 3/4" wide, 8 3/8" tall and 3" deep.

I can also say that the manual is very poorly written (it was translated from German, and is seriously lacking information), and the supplied software is bug ridden (at least the Mac version is). The software allows you audition and store patches and access the effects parameters, which have limited panel control. If you have a decent MIDI controller with enough programmable knobs, however, you can control all of the Minimax effect parameters via MIDI, making the software almost unnecessary.

In short, I really like the product. I think it sounds better than the Alesis Ion (which does a pretty good Minimoog imitation itself). The Minimax is 12 voice polyphonic (12 Model D's!) and has built-in chorus/flange and L/R delay effects, which can be turned off from the front panel if desired. Definately a cool piece. I only wish the manual was better and the software worked.

Almost forgot - the back panel has this statement printed across the bottom:

"Warranty void if seal broken. Don not smoke this product. Do not microwave. Do not feed liquids. Have fun!"

Someone at Creamware has an interesting sense of humor.

- Greg

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:21 am

Haha.

I'm seriously considering getting one, to take with me everywhere!

Rogue

Re: Minimax ASB

Post by Rogue » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:54 am

GregAE wrote:Almost forgot - the back panel has this statement printed across the bottom:

"Warranty void if seal broken. Don not smoke this product. Do not microwave. Do not feed liquids. Have fun!"
Maybe it should also say, "do not feed after midnight, and keep it out of bright light." :)
[url=http://www.myspace.com/spceco][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/garbageboxlove/motion/star_pulse-1.gif[/img] [b]Shine on down...[/b][/url]

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:28 am

Hi!
Just to give you an idea befor you buy an ASB...
I am a creamware user since years now and own three Creamware-Pulsar-Cards and some more HW from them. This Cards are build in an seperate PC (i got three PC's) which runs only this cards and the Software for them (well, also a Sequencer SW).
So you wonder why i tell you this...
... the reason is, that you can buy this cards very cheap at the moment and you can get get the Minimax as for this cards!!! It is exactly the same software which runs on the cards, but you will be far more flexible with this cards, because there are much more synths, EFX and other professional Tools you can use with them.
You get an professional recording system as well.
It is just an idea, i am not from creamware or so, and because this is the moog forum, i guess it would be better to give me an pm if you need more information!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:27 am

StefanH wrote:Hi!
Just to give you an idea befor you buy an ASB...
you can buy this cards very cheap at the moment and you can get get the Minimax as for this cards!!! It is exactly the same software which runs on the cards, but you will be far more flexible with this cards, because there are much more synths, EFX and other professional Tools you can use with them.
Absolutely true, the Minimax did start out as software. But Creamware made the ASB for the hardware folks (like me) who wanted real knobs and switches, not the virtual kind.

I forgot to mention that the ASB's 12-voice polyphony means that it can do wonderful pad and string sounds, too. Someone on another thread here was asking about the Voyager's ability to do pad/string sounds. It certainly can, but since it's monophonic, pad and string sounds have to be multi-tracked to build up polyphony. Using a polyphonic board like the ASB allows you to get there quicker with immediate results.

Not selling my Voyager, though. ;-)

The ironic thing about the ASB: it's hardware that imitates software (Minimax) that imitates hardware (Minimoog). Weird, but it works!

Greg

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:54 am

I think it looks beautiful as hardware. Also I like lots of knobs and switches to feel with my hands! I spend all day flying planes on my computer, flicking virtual switches in the overhead panel, and I really need something to take me away from that.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:12 am

Boeing 737-400 wrote:I think it looks beautiful as hardware.
It is a nice piece of gear. The panel graphics are VERY close to the real thing, and anyone familiar with the Minimoog would feel comfortable with the Minimax. The Minimax panel is slightly smaller than the Minimoog's, and so the knobs and switches are scaled down a bit. There's plenty of finger clearance, however, so real-time tweaking is not an issue. I posted the ASB's measurements in my first message because I didn't recall seeing them in any review, and any propective buyer should know what the actual size is.

I contacted Creamware a few days ago and learned that they are aware of the issues with the owner's manual and software. Their plan is to update both at some point, but their resources are stretched thin at present with the release of the Prophet and B4000 ASBs.

- Greg

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:20 pm

I'm bumping this for any Minimax vs Voyager comparisons. I know, comparing a Moog to a VA is almost heretical, but I have the software version in my mini-Scope system and am looking for sound comparisons. Thanks in advance.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:10 pm

synthetic wrote:I'm bumping this for any Minimax vs Voyager comparisons. I know, comparing a Moog to a VA is almost heretical, but I have the software version in my mini-Scope system and am looking for sound comparisons. Thanks in advance.
Hi Synthetic -

A while back, my friend Brian and I discussed doing a project comparing the Minimoog, the Voyager and the CreamWare Minimax in a head-to-head sound challange. We thought we would set up each machine as identically as possible and record some sample sounds from each. The samples would then randomly be posted online as a kind of contest, asking folks to guess which was which. We were going to call it "Vintage, Voyager or Virtual?" (catchy title, eh?). Unfortunately, we didn't get far beyond discussing some of the details, and no actual recording was done even though we have all the gear necessary to pull it off.

Perhaps it's time to follow through on that idea. Anybody else interested?

- Greg

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:31 pm

I'd be very interested in hearing the comparisons.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:32 pm

Okay, warming up the D and Voyager... Ice Tea also brewing :)( hey it's summer and we'll have to drink something). Maybe throw the Little Phatty in for the heck of it.

Brian

Funkasizer

Post by Funkasizer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:50 am

I am wondering if the Creamware desktop modules are doing so well, commercially speaking. Feedback, a Dutch chain of musical instrument stores, is selling them right now for bottom prices. For instance, the Minimax ASB went from 950 euros to 599 euros. I would have almost purchased one, but my LP and Voyager RME were against it.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:14 am

Funkasizer wrote:I am wondering if the Creamware desktop modules are doing so well, commercially speaking. Feedback, a Dutch chain of musical instrument stores, is selling them right now for bottom prices. For instance, the Minimax ASB went from 950 euros to 599 euros. I would have almost purchased one, but my LP and Voyager RME were against it.
CreamWare, the company that made the wonderful ASB's, the Scope platform and other products is no longer. They filed for insolvency in late 2006/early 2007. It appears that two other companies (inDSP and SoniCore) have acquired CreamWare's technology and will be picking things up where CreamWare left off. That's good news for those of us who own CreamWare products. For more, look here:

http://www.indsp.com/

- Greg

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 am

Thanks Greg. It's a relief to hear someone's picking up the Creamware stuff.

Incidentally I know two professional musicians who are using the MiniMax, both of whom previously used MiniMoogs. They're both very favourably impressed with it.