Rekons VST - no good?

Everything Phatty.
popgoblin

Rekons VST - no good?

Post by popgoblin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi all

I just bought the Redback special edition Little Phatty and the VST from Rekon to control it with from Ableton....

...it doesn't work very well (well, not really at all). I got it new (the "Redback"), but it was installed with 2.1 so I upgraded it to 3.1.

Is the VST abondoned and is my 69$ lost?

point.source

Re: Rekons VST - no good?

Post by point.source » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:23 am

hey mate, you shouldn't have bought this crap, im sorry!

this is free and works like a charm:

http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... p&can=2&q=

hope u enjoy

TERRYSL1M

Post by TERRYSL1M » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 am

HI point.source THIS LOOKS REALY COOL how have you got this set up in ableton

thanks

mesa

Post by mesa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:01 am

Dose this work in ableton looks realy good if it dose hows do I set it up and will I be able to automate the slim in the arrangement view

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.

point.source

Post by point.source » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi there!! Here's a tutorial for setting up ctrlr in Ableton, it's working PERFECTLY:

****THIS TUTORIAL WAS COPIED FROM CTRLR FORUM***** http://ctrlrv4.sourceforge.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=475

Install Midi OX and Midi Yoke
- Run Midi OX and Ableton Live
- Disable Midi Yoke ports in Ableton > Preferences > Midi
- Create a midi track in Ableton with an external instrument
and set the external instrument for your synth (Midi port, Midi channel, Audio input)
- Create a second Midi Track in Ableton with the Ctrl vst plugin corresponding to your synth
Edit CTRL plugin
go to File > CTRL options
set the first menu to "Out To MIDI Yoke 1" (or midi yoke port of your choice)
set the midi channel below to the midi channel of your synth
- Group the two midi tracks in Ableton Live
Press Ctrl key on your keyboard and clic on each track then right clic and select "Group Tracks"
- Open Midi OX
Edit menu "Options" > MIDI Devices
Configure:
MIDI Inputs: clic on "In From MIDI Yoke 1" (or midi yoke port of your choice)
MIDI Outputs: clic on "Express 128: Port1" (midi port of your synth, in my example I use Motu midi express 128 interface)
If you want, you can uncheck "Automatically attach Inputs to Outputs during selection". Then you will have to route the input port to the output port in the next step.
Clic on "OK"
- In Midi OX go to menu View > Port routings
Verify that the Midi yoke port (Input Ports, MIDI Yoke 1 in our example) that you have configured is routed to the midi port of your synth (Output ports, Express 128: Port1 in our example).
If required, clic on the Input port, drag the wire and drop it on the output port.

It's done.
Now you can play and listen to your synth with the external instrument in Ableton Live, and open the ctrl plugin to control your synth.

I hope it helps.

MAYBE THIS CONFIG WON'T WORK FOR YOU, SO YOU HAVE TO HAVE BASIC MIDI KNOWLEDGE TO MAKE IT WORK!

I did something different:

I've set OUTPUT in the slim phatty VST to Midi Yoke INPUT 1

i've set the INPUT in the slim phatty VST to Slim Phatty

In the external instrument plugin, i've chosen MIDI TO MIDI YOKE INPUT 2

In MIDIOX, SEND BOTH TO SLIM PHATTY!

I have taken some screenshots of the setup, should make really easy to understand, i hope it helps!

http://www.filesonic.com/file/164382793 ... _Setup.rar

This vst is marvellous, it's working like a charm, i would gladly pay for this.

You don't need to save your patches in the phatty memory, or even in the VST. When you open up the project everything is loaded automaticaly, all parameters, the way you left it, as it would be with any other soft synth.

You can also use it as a standalone. It receives sysex dumps etc, i regret now that i bought that editor librarian from soundtower, just wasted U$69

mesa

Post by mesa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:35 am

this is the way i set it up works great, I had no need to use midiox an only takes up to TRACKS just unconnected the slim inputs an out puts in ableton preferences

MESA
Attachments
moog set up vst.JPG
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.

point.source

Post by point.source » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 am

Hi there mesa!

Yeah man, i tried that here, i turned off the slim phatty input and output in live preferences, chose them in the VST plugin and it works great, i mean, almost. The phatty can control the plugin and vice versa, but i don't know why it doesn't send midi from the VST piano keys, you know what i mean? It sends all parameters, but no the actual notes per se.

So i had to set up and external instrument to send the midi notes for it.

point.source

Post by point.source » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:47 am

Hi there!!

I was able to do it!!

Forget about that midiox midi yoke madness!!

I only needed to check that MIDI THRU box, and now it's working 100%!

SO, we only need 2 channels (1 MIDI for the VST, and 1 AUDIO for, well, the audio!)!

We can automate ALL PARAMETERS, this vst is really good, im drawing a lot of crazy automations here and it's responding, incredibly, really smooth!

Totally different than setting up an external instrument device and drawing the automation in the clip.

mesa

Post by mesa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:41 pm

point.source wrote:Hi there!!

I was able to do it!!

Forget about that midiox midi yoke madness!!

I only needed to check that MIDI THRU box, and now it's working 100%!

SO, we only need 2 channels (1 MIDI for the VST, and 1 AUDIO for, well, the audio!)!

We can automate ALL PARAMETERS, this vst is really good, im drawing a lot of crazy automations here and it's responding, incredibly, really smooth!

Totally different than setting up an external instrument device and drawing the automation in the clip.
BOSS ITIN point.source I was the same drawing all crazy automations HA
MOOG you should have who ever made this VST to make all your moog ones

popgoblin

Post by popgoblin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Yup - thanks for thank link - it works so much better!

My 69$ are wasted (Moog should be ashamed to link/endorse to that shop) - but at least I found this replacement...

all the best

milesbeverley

Post by milesbeverley » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi,

I also bought Rekon. Sent them a bunch of mails but still haven't received a reply on when a good working version is coming out!

Anyway, I would also like to be able to control the Phatty II via Ableton but I use a Mac. I see the CTRLR is windows only. Is there something similar for the Mac? It looks great!

-Miles

Electrolight

Post by Electrolight » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:01 am

http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... tle+phatty

Here you go :)
I believe there are a few bugs in the mac version but only very small ones (like toggling the SYNC button I believe)
edit: I'm sorry that's the windows version again, apparently the mac version dissapeared from the version
try googling it?