Tuning Scale Function for Little Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
tomoe97

Tuning Scale Function for Little Phatty?

Post by tomoe97 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm

The Slim Phatty adds an intriguing new function to Phatty's repertoire: Tuning Scale. The info page for Slim Phatty describes it as follows: " A new Tuning Scale feature and editor allows easy exploration of alternate scales and tunings. Microtonal, just intonation, quarter-tone, world music scales and more make the Slim Phatty an international traveler." Wonderful!

Will we see Tuning Scale added in an OS update to Little Phatty StageII?

Jaguarfooger

Re: Tuning Scale Function for Little Phatty?

Post by Jaguarfooger » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:37 am

tomoe97 wrote:Will we see Tuning Scale added in an OS update to Little Phatty StageII?
It would be a fun feature that has been requested a number of times!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:02 am

This along with the other OS upgrades on the Slim makes me very eager for a new LP OS. I bet they are just making sure the new update procedure is bomb proof. The new procedure for OS 2.21 was super smooth, though.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:12 am

Unless ... How close is the LP to being full in terms of code space? If they build the Slim Phatty with more memory they might have been able to add OS features that wouldn't fit into the Stage II memory. Although hopefully even if that's the case there will be an upgrade option for the Stage to get the full new OS. I hope so, because non-12-TET tunings is something I've wanted for a long time.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 pm

I would expect stage 2 and slim integration to be near flawless. Having functions on one but not the other would complicate that a lot. Though douphony could be interesting, I'm more interested in being able to play 2 different LP sounds simultaiously live and creating complex patches using 2 LPs together. CV out mod would be a must as well. A pitch ribbon would have been a nice touch or is there a knob function to set pitch over the full range.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi guys! Busily working on Phatty OS 3.0 as we speak. This will be a major update in terms of stability and ease of upgrading... finally the LP (and Slim) gets a permanent boot-loader, so it will always be able to recover and try again in case of any errors during firmware update.

OS 3.0 will be unified across all Phatty synths, so they will all get the same basic features including the new tuning scales option.
A scale editor for Mac and PC is in the works, so users will be able to define their own custom scales and tunings. Right now this is limited to defining 12 custom intervals and setting the root note, so you can't do anything really esoteric like 19-TET or Harry Partch tunings, but you can do a lot of the alternative scales people use more commonly (pythagorean and meantone type scales, anything based on 12 tones/octave).

It will take a little longer to roll out OS 3.0 for existing LP users, because it's easy to build the new Slim with bootloader already installed but more difficult to create an update process that cleanly updates an existing unit. We are working on this update process now, but we'll want to test it carefully before releasing to the public. Stay tuned, though... good things are on the way.

Cheers,

Amos

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks Amos, that will be spectacular...

Bääx

Post by Bääx » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes please!!
Taurus III, Little Phatty Stage II, JoMoX X-Base 999, Korg MS2000R, Gotharman DeMoon

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Amos: When you say "all Phatty synths" do you mean the TE as well...? (sorry if I sound like an idiot :roll: )
I have OS 2.1(the physical upgrade) on my Tribute - will the new OS be compatible with this ?

HB3

Post by HB3 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:18 pm

That sounds great, Amos...but you've gotta get with the microtonal thing eventually. The Cal Arts crowd will love you. They'll do concerts where, before they begin their microtonal improvisations, they'll blow on their Phatties, and lightly beat them with spaghetti tongs...

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 am

HB3 wrote:before they begin their microtonal improvisations, they'll blow on their Phatties, and lightly beat them with spaghetti tongs...
That's already how I begin all my LP solos. Don't you guys?

Guys?
:lol:

Anyway, yes the grand scheme is that OS 3.0 will be unified across all LP versions including (upgraded) Tribute Editions. There's just a pull-down menu when building firmware to select whether it's being built for this or that version. This means that you'll still need a unique update file for each version, but they'll all have been built from the same code base, inheriting the same new features.

dave500

Post by dave500 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am

You rock Amos.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:41 pm

dave500 wrote:You rock Amos.
8)

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 pm

...great news...nice to see Moog treating the LP as the major instrument it is. I've been leery of the last upgrade, (because of some users getting a locked up Phatty) so I'm assuming we will be able to upgrade to 3.0 from earlier OS's...

..thanks for the work, Amos!