Can some one tell me why...

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
r05c03

Can some one tell me why...

Post by r05c03 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 pm

with mMURF, and only mMuRF (possibly the other MuRFS too) when you insert a cable in to any of the CV inputs it actually alters the setting of the knob? For example when you have your MIX at 100% with the knob and then you insert a cable into the MIX CV input it immediately sounds like the MIX knob has been set to 50%. This is the same with all the other inputs, including ENV and RATE. None of the other MFs do this, which means I can have them jacked permanently into a patchbay for quick and easy access to the CV inputs even though they are racked.
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

Herrmann

Re: Can some one tell me why...

Post by Herrmann » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:58 pm

If I remember correctly the Murf is unique in that its CV inputs allow you to sweep the parameter above and below the value set by the knob. The other Foogers just let you increase the value from the know position. It you want to use the Murf in a patchbay you can try setting all the knobs to 12 o'clock so that a CV input of 0V takes the parameter down to 0 and +5V takes it to its maximum. Theoretically a CV of +2.5V should be the same as the knob setting. Here's the quote from the Murf manual explaining this:

"When you plug an expression pedal into one of the pedal inputs on your MF-105M, the pedal adds and subtracts half the range to the setting of the corresponding control. For example, let’s say that you plug an expression pedal into your MF-105M’s ENVELOPE input, with the ENVELOPE control set to 5. With the pedal all the way in the heel position, the Envelope shape is the same as if the ENVELOPE control was set to zero. Then, when you advance the pedal, the Envelope shape begins to morph, just as if you were turning the knob. At halfway, the pedal equals the setting of the corresponding control, and at full toe position, it is as if the control is at 10. A good rule to follow is: when you use an expression pedal, you set the corresponding knob for the middle value you want. From the middle of the pedal, advancing to toe increases that value, pulling back to heel position decreases the value."

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Yeah, I know, but that means, even when I have the MIX knob dimed (set to maximum), and I plug in TRS cable from the patch bay, but without a foot pedal, the sound coming from the MuRF will be that of the MuRF with the MIX knob set at 12 o'clock. I since I do not have a foot pedal connected to my patch bay in the MuRF "MIX" socket at all times I have to unplug the leads from the patch bay, which is a bummer. I was just wondering why they did it like this with the MuRF. What is the functionality gained?
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:13 pm

I think it stems from the envelope control, which is bipolar. It would have been better to maintain the functionality across all 'foogers IMO, and just have a special case for the envelope shape.