drone fading issue on Voyager OS

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
moogslob

drone fading issue on Voyager OS

Post by moogslob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I just noticed playing live with a band last night, with my env. gate switch "on", the sound will eventually fade away! At home today, it's still happening; the sound slowly fades away- Changing the release time makes no difference, as it shouldn't anyway, right? Any clues? :|
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

moogslob

Re: drone fading issue on Voyager OS

Post by moogslob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:51 pm

well, I set everything back to "default", and it's working as should be now...
so does that mean the sustain settings affect the gate? wierd... :?
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 am

Sustain is a level. If it is low, the signal will drop to that level at the rate determined by decay. The gate will still be high, but there is no signal to pass.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:39 am

ah ha- so if my sustain level was set low, with the gate switch on, the signal was slowly fading to that level?

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Funny, with my OS and the gate on, I've never been able to sustain it indefinitely. No matter what the envelopes are doing. I've been assuming it just doesn't do that. Its just so happens I read this thread and watched a 10 minute video today that indicate otherwise! What gives? I have the decay/sustain/release on both envelopes set to max.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I always check these things on my OS when I read something like that. Nothing to report here, except maybe that the release on the VCA is much more than 10 seconds. There is another possibility though. Negative envelopes will fade the sound level to nothing, even in the sustain stage. That can be aggravated further with high level of filter modulation on either busses, depending on settings, which it does on my OS, and that's by design.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Funny, with my OS and the gate on, I've never been able to sustain it indefinitely. No matter what the envelopes are doing. I've been assuming it just doesn't do that. Its just so happens I read this thread and watched a 10 minute video today that indicate otherwise! What gives? I have the decay/sustain/release on both envelopes set to max.
It should be able to sustain indefinitely- Try "defaulting" the panel, then see what you get- That's what I did- I don't know what magical combination of settings had mine fading out, but after setting everything "normal", I was able to properly drone again...

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:30 am

hey- just found this old exchange betwixt myself and Amos- explains it all:
Hiya- quick question:
On some patches, if I plug a cable end into the keyboard gate jack, I get an infinite drone, but others the drone eventually fades away- What setting do I need to adjust to prevent this eventual fading?

moogslob

Postby Amos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm
turn down the volume envelope decay parameter below 50%.
the voyager has the same envelope circuit and the same thing happens if you leave the gate on; output volume slowly fades away to nothing if the Decay is too high. Turn the decay down and the sound will instantly come back from nothing and remain loud indefinitely.

Cheers,

Amos

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:58 pm

moogslob wrote:hey- just found this old exchange betwixt myself and Amos- explains it all:
Hiya- quick question:
On some patches, if I plug a cable end into the keyboard gate jack, I get an infinite drone, but others the drone eventually fades away- What setting do I need to adjust to prevent this eventual fading?

moogslob

Postby Amos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm
turn down the volume envelope decay parameter below 50%.
the voyager has the same envelope circuit and the same thing happens if you leave the gate on; output volume slowly fades away to nothing if the Decay is too high. Turn the decay down and the sound will instantly come back from nothing and remain loud indefinitely.

Cheers,

Amos
Excellent, that explains it! Dropping the decay on the volume envelope allows mine to sustain indefinitely. Thanks!

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:15 am

yeah crazy, huh? it's one of those features you only realize how much you reply upon when it's not there!