New Taurus Firmware! v1.13 official release

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Amos

New Taurus Firmware! v1.13 official release

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am

Hello bass fanatics,

After a long effort, I am happy to present to you a new update to the Taurus 3 operating system.

This new version features a large number of tweaks and improvements, primarily directed by feedback from the Taurus user community. So, my thanks to all of you for helping to make the Taurus 3 a better instrument than ever before.

Improvements in this version include:

- better tuning of the factory preset sounds
- Osc.B and Beat frequency display centered at zero (range is -2048 to +2047)
- Decay foot switch works like Taurus 1 (mutes the currently-decaying note instantly when toggled off)
- Arpeggiator internal clock displays BPM
- LFO internal clock displays Hz
- and more -- be sure to read the text file included in the download, for a complete list of changes & bug fixes as well as comprehensive installation instructions.

Some of you have already tried earlier "release candidates" of version 1.12, but there were still a few issues to resolve in those versions. Those issues could not have been found and fixed without your testing assistance, so thanks very much to the people who tried v1.12RC1 and RC2.

Now, without further ado, here are the files. Please check this out as soon as you're able. If all the feedback is positive, I will then go ahead and put these files on the main moogmusic.com site for everyone to download.

Links to download:

Taurus 3 v1.13 files for Macintosh
Taurus 3 v1.13 files for Windows
Last edited by Amos on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dr_floyd

Re: New Taurus Firmware! v1.12 official release

Post by dr_floyd » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Firmware update went perfectly, as did the calibration. But I have no idea if restoring the factory presets did anything as there was never any feedback in the T3 window (as indicated in the install notes) and the status in the computer window said "Hit Enter to Stop" or something similar. I was able to do the Factory Restore, so I'm not sure if I simply looked away too long when updating the presets or what.

Anything I can try to confirm a complete update?

Thebullsback

Post by Thebullsback » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:13 am

Hi Amos,

I presently have the following version of Firmware installed (T3_v112RC1_WIN) i still have the zip
file saved.So, do i need to install this new version- and if so, will i loose my modified presets i have saved ? And can i reinstall the above file if i do'nt like the change ?

Oh yea, why does it seem when theres a change/update to Firmware, some will state that it
improved upon an issue, but created a new one. This makes me hesitant to install the updated
software.

Thanks,
BULLSBACK

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Bulls,
Man go easy on Amos, he is doing his best. Its going to be a work in progress until everything is perfect. If you are a windows user you should be quite familiar with this. Amos has a lot of shoes to wear, and a lot of full plates over there.

Just think, they could have waited until ALL bugs were fixed, and noone would have their Taurus yet. Then he would be announcing that the first shipments were going out.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Thebullsback

Post by Thebullsback » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:26 am

Erick

First off, all i was doing was asking him ,"questions", thats all. You react as if i threw the man under a bus.
I have spoken to him over the phone more than ounce- he's a nice guy and very professional. As you see in my email i said, 'hi' and "thank you" - their was no CAP'S used.

Thanks.

Have a Nice Day.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 am

Hi guys! Don't worry, I certainly don't mind folks asking me questions about what I'm doing.

As for the impression that each firmware update has had both some fixes and some new problems,
please keep in mind that the last two updates for Taurus were *not* release versions... they were release candidates, for beta testing.
This means it's no great surprise for a new issue or two to crop up, because it's a part of the development process.
I'm very thankful that some intrepid users have been willing to test these beta versions, as it's been a big help to me in finding and fixing all these issues as they arise.

Now, thanks to all that testing, I think I can safely say of this new release that it fixes a host of known problems,
and to the best of my knowledge does not introduce any new problems. Does this version fix absolutely everything, resulting in a perfect Taurus for the ages? I would say probably not, but it's a good step in that direction. My support and development effort is ongoing.

Bullsback: You should definitely update to the new firmware file; v112RC1 is one of the beta versions I described above. There are some fixes in the newer version (Decay footswitch behavior, for example) that you might like. If you only send the new firmware file and do not reload the presets, then you won't lose any modified presets of your own. This is what I'd recommend.

dr_floyd: You can check the B.FREQ value for the Taurus 1 preset to confirm that you have updated everything successfully.
If the value is +12, then you're using the new presets.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Any other questions or comments you may have, post 'em here...

-amos

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Bulls,
I didn't mean it to sound that hostile.

Keep in mind were dealing with a format here (text) where its easy to misinterpret ones emotional intent. We both probably did that in this instance.

No offence intended.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Thebullsback

Post by Thebullsback » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:47 pm

EricK,

I understand, and agree with you. I wonder if there where bugs with the original Taurus pedals- and if so,
did users have to open it up each time, and test circuits and wires.

bullsback.

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -

-- Albert Einstein

miamigroove

Post by miamigroove » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15 pm

I have some custom presets I have made. If I update the firmware does it erase them? i.e. do I need to make a back up of my presets first? If so, how would I do that over USB?

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:31 am

The update does not erase custom presets (I still have mine). Even loading the presets exe doesn't erase them.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:53 am

Hi there, 1.12 installed successfully.

One (obscure) bug:

I was using some MIDI data recorded with a Voyager in Cubase to sequence a T3. At one point I got a stuck MIDI note in the Taurus only. When I looked at the data stream, there was a change in CC#89, which moved from 127 (where it was from the beginning of the recording) to 63. I changed it back at the sticking point and all was well. I could probably safely just delete this CC.

Anyway, FYI

Thx 4 the update! :)

sixofthebest

Post by sixofthebest » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello Amos,

I will go to a shop to buy USB cable.
It means I have not tried any new Firmware downloaded yet, but I have a quastion.
My T3 Bank button needs to be pressed 2 or 3 times to be turned it on.
Is this issue solved by this v1. 12 ?

evoged

Post by evoged » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:50 am

Hi
I have successfully installed firmware V1.12, including undertaking the recalibration and loading factory presets V1.12, however the beat for Taurus is set to +390 when I believe it should be set to 0 as indicated by Amos in this post. The B-Freq is also set to +29, when I believe it should be set to 0 or possibly +12 ?

Any ideas as to what is happening here ? Why am I getting a setting at +390 ? As I believe the beat set at +390 still sounds a little disharmonic, whereas the beat set to 0 with the new V1.12 firmware is much closer to a truer harmonious Taurus 1 sound !

Please advise..

Thank you - evoged

evoged

Post by evoged » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:33 am

Apologies,
Sorted my own problem.
I forgot to restore the factory presets after updating the V1.12 presets, and now with beat at +390 and B-Freq at +12, all sounding just fine..

Thank you..

evoged

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Super, I'm glad it's sorted!

Unfortunately I did include one little bug in v1.13, to my great embarrassment.
The only consequence of this bug, on most units, is that with Fine Tune at zero, the tuning might be 8 to 10 cents (0.08 to 0.1 of a semitone) away from concert pitch. This is due to an offset from the external Pitch-CV jack, which was not being properly accounted for.

This bug is fixed in v1.13, which should appear on our main website shortly. For now, here are the files.
If you've updated to v1.12, you need only update the firmware and perform a note calibration. No need to load the factory presets again or do a factory restore.

Taurus 3 v1.13 files for Macintosh
Taurus 3 v1.13 files for Windows

Kind regards,

Amos