Arpeggiator start/stop

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Mr Phono

Arpeggiator start/stop

Post by Mr Phono » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:03 am

I want the arpeggiator to start when I start my drum machine (dsi tempest). Is this possible?
It receives the master clock from the tempest but I have to start the first note on the taurus myself. If I press a little early or a little late the arpeggiator will be out of sync all the time. I want the arpeggiator to be locked to the incoming clock all the time, even if I press too late....

Mr Phono

Re: Arpeggiator start/stop

Post by Mr Phono » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:42 am

Is there a way to sync the arpeggiator with a drum machine or loop station?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:37 pm

No answers yet so I'll try.

Taurus code is not as 'evolved' as Phatty; meaning that when it was produced, it simply listens for clock and runs if clock is present. Drum machines or DAWs that send clock all the time will allow the Taurus ARP to run anytime it wants (once it's started based on Taurus controls or Midi CC#90 into the Taurus).

Obviously, if your ARP is set to run and there is no Clock present, and then you start your drum or DAW which begins to send clock, then Taurus will obey. But there is no MMC code within Taurus as far as I know.

I'll add that the code I have in my Taurus is a "minus-1" release (one back from what is current prod) so there is a chance that Amos snuck MMC functionality it in at the last second. But if not, you'll likely see it in the next release (last I read Moog was collecting ideas and I think I recall seeing this on the list).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Mr Phono

Post by Mr Phono » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks for your reply! I really hope they'll change that in the next update.
The arpeggiator is completely useless because of this (for me though).

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:26 am

Try emailing Moog, that's what I did. I don't think they read this forum, so it's the only way to be sure your suggestion will get noticed.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Mr Phono

Post by Mr Phono » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I did. I don't think they understand the problem.
They keep saying I should put the clock source to midi and not to internal.
I know that, the arpeggiator responds to the tempo so that's not the problem....

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:27 pm

1) set arp clock source to MIDI, make sure arp latch is on
2) play first note of arpeggiation (not sending clock yet so you shouldn't hear anything)
3) start clock source
4) arp should kick off at moment of first clock; since it's latched it will stay in time until you turn off latch, regardless of whether you press notes early or late

problem solved, or do you need a better solution?

I'll work on an alternative solution, also...

Mr Phono

Post by Mr Phono » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:25 am

play first note of arpeggiation (not sending clock yet so you shouldn't hear anything)
But when I press the first note the arpeggiator just starts. I can control the tempo so it is receiving midi clock.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 am

So the problem is there is no MMC control? MIDI Clock is always running from the source so the Taurus just goes? What is actually needed is the Start and Stop functions of the MMC protocol. I think most devices just send clock all the time, not just when you hit start and stop on the drum machine/looper pedal etc.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Mr Phono

Post by Mr Phono » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 am

Exactly, I use the dave smith Tempest drum machine as master clock but even if I don't play a beat and adjust the BPM the taurus will change the tempo. I really want to use the drum machine with the taurus arp.....

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 pm

OK, I see the problem. I will see what I can do.
I don't want to lose the option to set your own downbeat from the arpeggiator; for folks who rely on their own musical timing abilities, that is a critical feature. For folks who rely on the perfection of machine timing, though, I can see how it's a detriment! Sounds like a new optional setting is what's needed.

Mr Phono

Post by Mr Phono » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:34 am

Hi Amos,

I really need the perfection of machine timing. In a live situation I play guitar use drum machines and play the taurus. I can't risk starting the arp like I have to now. If I press the taurus pedals early or too late we'd have to restart the song.
It would be really, really great if you can see what you can do!

Thanks for your time, and I'm glad to hear from you again!