Very interesting prototype find... any thoughts/ideas?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
silent_switchman

Very interesting prototype find... any thoughts/ideas?

Post by silent_switchman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:58 am

Hello fellow Moogists!

I think I may have made a pretty spectacular find. I have come into possession of a little effects unit that appears to be a Moog prototype unit. It's a Chorus/Flanger effects unit. It has a handwritten label on it, describing all the functionality of the knobs. Checking against older Moog schematics/prototypes that you can find on the Bob Moog Foundation website, I am inclined to think this is the real deal. The way the unit is laid out and the handwriting sure seem consistent with some stuff up there. Of course, who knows. I plan on writing the Bob Moog Foundation and seeing what they have to say.

I've attached a few snaps here for everyone. I can't vouch too much in depth for how the thing sounds overall; when I bought it, the seller didn't have quite the right power supply - it definitely powers up and it definitely is a chorus/flange effect. I tested it on a old guitar through like a cigarette pack-style amp; not exactly the best testing unit, but I know it works. I need to get a proper 18v(!) power supply for it tomorrow. I'll record some stuff through it and post the recordings up for everyone to hear.

Now, like I say, I can't totally vouch at this point that this is the real thing, but it sure _looks_ like the real deal. What's that 'Kingdom Of South Turkey' bit on the label?? A bit of fun by Dr. Moog?

Anyway - crazy find one way or the other. Here are two snaps of the unit. One in color, and an 'artier', B&W snap.

Thanks all! I'll let you know what the Foundation folks say when I get in touch with them. Cheers!
Attachments
moog_bw.jpg
moog.jpg

EricK

Re: Very interesting prototype find... any thoughts/ideas?

Post by EricK » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 am

The Folks at Moog would be able to tell you about that likely. Maybe SteveD or someone like that, if it is a big briar device.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

silent_switchman

Post by silent_switchman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:19 pm

EricK wrote:The Folks at Moog would be able to tell you about that likely. Maybe SteveD or someone like that, if it is a big briar device.
Excellent suggestion, EricK. I'll give him a ping. Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful advice! Cheers.

matrix

Post by matrix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:58 am

silent_switchman, I popped a post on http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... anger.html and contacted Michelle Moog-Koussa. She thinks it is real. She said it looks like his writing amongst other things. Shoot me an email (contact info is on the bottom right of the site) or DM me.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 am

SSman,

We have had a long time running poll on the forum "What should Moog release next" and there has been A LOT of demand for a Flanger and a Chorus unit. Most of the time, the answer that is replied is "Use the cp251 and the 104 for chorus".

I can just imagine how some of those people will feel when they stumble upon this unit.

This is one of those times where people like us wish you would post pictures of the inside or send the thing to Moog so they can put something like that into production.

To quote one of my all time personal heroes:
Dr. Indiana Jones wrote:It belongs in a museum
this statement has never rang so true lolol.

Regardless, you likely have a real gem on your hands.

Thank you for posting pics of it, its another inspiring piece of the Legacy. Can't wait to hear those audio samples.

Respectfully,
Eric

silent_switchman

Post by silent_switchman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 am

Hello Erik and all,

Here's what I got this morning from Steve D: "I'm 98% certain that what you have is a prototype of a chorus/flanger hand-built by Bob *somewhere* between '78 and '92."

:D

I need to send him a follow-up email, as well as create post number 2 with more information for everyone here. I've got to get going on my day early so I can't follow up right at the moment, but I promise to do so very very soon.

Like I said: _crazy_ find, huh? More soon!

Cheers,
silent_switchman

MC

Post by MC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:37 am

You can check the datecodes on the ICs. Usually a four digit number IE 8822 would mean 22nd week of 1988 that the IC was fabbed. Find the newest datecode on all the ICs, IE newest is 9033 then the box was built sometime after 1990.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 am

Very cool if it is, and looks like it maybe, a prototype Bob worked one many years ago. Cool if it is researched and further developed it would be nice, but I stand by saying the CP251 and MF104 combination are an alternative to one not a replacement.

Has anyone researched why it says “Kingdom of South Turkey CK” ?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Well, CK is the usual abbreviation of Creek. So, were is South Turkey Creek?
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

This is what a chap said on the matrixsynth link:

Hawker said...
South Turkey Creek is the area in Leicester NC where Bob lived at one time. (where the round Deltec house is). It is the locals name for the area. It is also where the name "Big Briar Cove" came from. AFAIK Big Briar was Bob's name for the area.

The +18V requirement most likely points to the fact that Bob used MN3000 series BBDs as opposed to the less expensive MN3200s used in most stomp box types. These parts require +15V to work, so he probably linear regulated down from +15V. In other words you got a nice piece of gear!

Boy I sure would love to see the insides of that puppy.

8/2/10 6:51 AM

Thought Id post that ditty here.
Would love to see youtube videos of that thing in action!

Eric

silent_switchman

Post by silent_switchman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your comments and interest! It still hasn't _quite_ hit me what I have sitting here. :) I am just in awe at this little gem. As an aside, Matrix has been in touch with Michelle Moog-Koussa. An update has been posted over there with some words from Michelle at http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... anger.html. It's worth a visit if you haven't checked out Matrix's site or Michelle's comments on this piece over there.

I promise everyone sound samples as soon as I can put them together! I have had a crazy busy work schedule recently and I've also been studying quite hard, so it's made fitting in time to play/record music a bit rough the last few weeks, much less put together a proper demo of this unit. I have barely had a chance to test it myself and really give it a go. Hopefully this weekend clears up!

For now, here's another snap of the little guy with my MF-101. You can get a bit of a feel for how big it is. I've also included a 2nd one with my Tetra; much closer in size. I'll definitely be doing guitar samples with this guy, along with samples/recordings of my Little Phatty.

Thanks again for your interest, I will endeavor to have audio samples for you _soon_.

Cheers!
silent_switchman
Attachments
chorus_tetra.jpg
chorus_101.jpg